May 4, 2012
As construction continues on the Interstate 10 widening project from Ruthrauff to Prince in Tucson, the Arizona Department of Transportation would like to alert drivers about the following lane restrictions and closures scheduled during the next week:
Beginning 9 a.m. Friday (May 4) for approximately four weeks:
- The right lane of the eastbound I-10 frontage road, south of the Prince Road exit ramp, will be closed for utility work.
From 7 p.m. Thursday (May 10) to 5 a.m. Friday (May 11):
- Eastbound I-10 will be reduced to one lane from Sunset Road to Miracle Mile.
- The eastbound I-10 entrance ramp at Ruthrauff Road will be closed during overnight work hours.
- Drivers may use the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp at Sunset Road or Miracle Mile.
From 7 p.m. Thursday (May 10) until late 2013:
- The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road will remain closed through late 2013. Drivers may use the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp at Miracle Mile.
Beginning 5 a.m. Friday (May 11):
- Eastbound I-10 drivers will begin traveling on the new temporary lanes on westbound I-10 in the project area while westbound I-10 drivers will continue traveling on the temporary lanes on the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- Three lanes of I-10 will remain open during construction, with only minimal short-term lane closures along I-10 in the project when necessary.
- The speed limit on eastbound I-10 will be reduced to 55 mph between Ruthrauff Road and Miracle Mile.
Prince Road Traffic Interchange Closure
- The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 is closed through late 2013.
- Prince Road at I-10 and west of I-10 is closed to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- There is no access to westbound I-10 from eastbound Prince Road. Use alternate routes.
- The westbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are closed.
- The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince will be closed through late 2013 effective 5/10/12.
- Runway Drive at Prince Road is closed for approximately 60 days. Traffic will be detoured to Romero Road and Gardner Lane.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is open to one lane between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road.
Other Ongoing Traffic Impacts in the Project Area:
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive, west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through spring 2012.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed for approximately 12 months.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project, please visit www.azdot.gov/tucson10widening or contact ADOT Tucson District Senior Community Relations Officer, Linda Ritter, at 520-388-4266, firstname.lastname@example.org or ADOT Community Relations Officer, Paki Rico, at 520-388-4233, email@example.com.
Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.800.949.8057. Visit www.facebook.com/azdot or www.azdot.gov for more information about ADOT. Information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona are also on the agency's latest blog posts at http://adotblog.blogspot.com