The Lake Havasu City Municipal Airport was the recipient of the 2013“Airport of the Year” award, sponsored annually by the MPD - Aeronautics Group of the Arizona Department of Transportation, (ADOT). ADOT presented the award at the 2013 Arizona Airports Association’s, (AzAA) annual Spring Conference, held this year in Page.
After a thorough review by ADOT-MPD-Aeronautics staff, the Lake Havasu City Municipal Airport was chosen for this prestigious award for:
Each year, the Lake Havasu City Municipal Airport logs approximately 50,000 takeoffs and landings. It houses 142 aircraft on its 646-acre facility. There are only four full-time staff members who keep the airport running smoothly every day. Many flight-training students from around the world routinely use the airport, and the facility also attracts corporate aircraft flying into and out of Southern California.
- In July 2012, the airport partnered with the Rio-Colorado chapter of The Ninety-Nines, Inc. International Organization of Women Pilots to host the national Air Race Classic and serve as a starting point for this historic race. This event dates back to 1929.
- Partnered with a fixed-base operator at the airport in July 2012 to host an international helicopter manufacturing company for certification testing of rotorcraft.
- Hosted an Army search and rescue Blackhawk exercise in July 2012.
- Partnered with the Air Force Academy to host the Collegian Flight Training Competition in March 2012.
- Hosted Luke Air Force Base for an F-16 emergency landing repair and mechanics security effort in September 2012.
The estimated direct local economic impact to the community due to these activities is approximately $194,000.
The selection criteria used by the ADOT - MPD - Aeronautics Group consists of accomplishments in the areas of Aviation Advocacy and Community Relations, Airport Management, Special Events and Recognition as well as innovative activities and programs implemented at the airport.
Mr. Steve Johnston, CM, Airport Supervisor, accepted the award on behalf of the Lake Havasu City Municpal Airport and airport staff. A sign will be erected near the airport announcing Lake Havasu City Municipal Airport as the 2013 “Airport of the Year.”