Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV)
An alternative fuel vehicle is one that is powered only by an alternative fuel. Arizona statute defines an alternative fuel as one of the following:
- Natural gas / CNG or LPG
- Blend of 70 percent alternative fuel, 30 percent gasoline (unavailable in Arizona)
Registration and Fees
The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV is changed to a rate of $4 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:
- For the first year, the assessed value is 1-percent of the factory list price (FLP) of the AFV.
- For subsequent years, the assessed value is depreciated 15-percent each year.
- The minimum VLT for an AFV registration is $5.
In addition, an AFV is subject to
- $8 vehicle registration fee.
- $8 one-time special plate or sticker fee.
- 25¢ Air Quality Compliance Fee (if in an emissions test area) and a $1.50 Air Quality Fee.
To calculate the savings for an Alternative Fuel Vehicle, take the Vehicle License Tax due (for gasoline or diesel vehicles) and multiply it by 0.02381. The result is what you would have paid (or $5, whichever is higher).
If you have a current AFV special plate or sticker, you can use the HOV freeway lanes at any time, regardless of the number of passengers. An AFV may only display the following plate types: AFV plates, personalized AFV plates, Disability and Personalized Disability. No other plate may be displayed.
An AFV will require emissions testing if you live in or commute for work or school to Area A (Maricopa County and some areas of Yavapai and Pinal Counties) and Area B (Pima County).
Vehicles operated on compressed natural gas (CNG) or propane (LPG) require emissions testing on the sixth registration year. Hydrogen, solar and electric powered vehicles are exempt from all emission testing requirements.
The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality is responsible for the emission testing program and laws. For more information contact the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality by calling the toll-free phone number 877.692.9227 or visiting myazcar.com.