Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the ADOT Scenic Roads program is not limited to its own highways. Any road or street in the state is eligible for designation.
Although a majority of the scenic roads are located in the northern areas of the state, the entire southwest deserts are wide open for scenic designation, provided they meet all evaluation criteria.
Yes. The Parkways, Historic and Scenic Roads Advisory Committee (PHSRAC) committee could recommend delisting if the qualities making the road scenic were degraded because of development. The State Transportation Board would make the final decision.
The ADOT Scenic Roads will fund studies for the PHSRAC upon receiving official letter requesting designating.
ADOT Scenic Roads Program
Arizona Department of Transportation
1615 W. Jackson St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Online Inquiry Form
Corridor Management Plans
The CMP is a grass-roots level participation project in which local desires and issues are documented to serve as a planning guide for the designated route.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funds 80 percent of the costs as part of a discretionary grant. ADOT funds the remaining 20 percent costs.
Most, if not all states that have a scenic roads program get heavy support from FHWA, which distributes money to support the development of state scenic road programs and the National Scenic Byways program.
No. The question will be addressed in the CMP. It will be a local decision. ADOT policy is to only forward applications for national designation that have consensus. Again, both FHWA and ADOT want this to be a grass-roots level program.
It generally takes 18 to 24 months.
The National Scenic Byways program is a collection of state-designated routes to identify, promote and manage our country's varied and scenic system of highways and roads through community efforts. There are two types of scenic byways: National Scenic Byways and All-American Roads. The program is administered by FHWA.
All-American Roads are the "cream of the crop" of the National Scenic Byways. They typically have a more developed level of traveler facilities, services and interpretive opportunities. They are also considered to be a "destination unto themselves." An example is Route One, Big Sur Coast Highway. National Scenic Byways have at least one special, or "intrinsic," quality of regional significance.
Yes, there are four National Scenic Byways and one All-American Road.
These are the National Scenic Byways:
This is the All-American Road:
To be considered for national designation, three things are needed:
- The state department of transportation (ADOT) must designate the route.
- You must have a completed corridor management plan (CMP) in place.
- You must have a completed national designation application submitted to FHWA.
Note: National designations are made every couple of years.
The 4 P's: promotion, preservation, partnerships and pride. Other benefits include increased funding opportunities, increased local economic gain from national advertising and support of the National Scenic Byways program. Approximately $40 million per year are distributed by FHWA to states to support the state and national programs. Routes designated on the national level have priority of funding over state-designated routes. There is also a marketing coordinator to market the routes on a national and international level and a Byways Resource Center to support nationally designated routes.
Federal Highway Administration, Arizona Division
4000 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85012