Maintenance of a highway extends from the right of way fence on one side of the road to the other side. This work includes:
- Surface maintenance, such as filling potholes and sealing cracks;
- Shoulder maintenance, such as repair and blading;
- Roadside maintenance, such as guardrail and fence repair;
- Drainage maintenance, such as clearing drains and ditches; and
- Removing obstructions, debris, snow, and ice.
Some functions, such as highway striping, lighting, and traffic signals, are conducted on a regional basis.