Programs and Partnerships

Joint Project Administration

Frequently Asked Questions

What’s the difference between a JPA and an IGA?

An IGA is an intergovernmental agreement between government agencies (i.e., cities, counties, towns, etc.) and carries additional statutory requirements. A JPA is a joint-project agreement, usually a private-sector agreement (PSA), such as with a developer.

When do I submit a JPA request?

You should submit a request before any work is allowed. 

If I do not have access to the JPA Launch System, what do I have to do to gain access?

Submit a HEAT ticket to install the software, and email the JPA Group to gain access as a project manager.

When do I generate an amendment?

An amendment is a legal document that goes through the same JPA process. If the scope of work responsibilities or project costs or shares change, submit a request to amend a previously executed JPA.

How do I generate an amendment?

Complete and submit via email or fax an amendment form.

Be sure to include details on all changes in the Scope of Work section. A JPA specialist will contact you once the amendment has been assigned.

Why do I keep seeing error messages when I input dollar amounts?

Don’t input the “$” sign or commas, but use a decimal if needed.

What if my local entity (the other party of the contract) isn’t listed in the JPA Launch System?

Email the JPA Branch with complete entity contact information. Once the JPA Launch System is updated, which should take about 24 hours, you can submit your request.

What if the local entity information doesn’t list the contact person with whom you are currently working?

If this person is a continuing contact for the entity, email details to the JPA Branch; the information will be added into the system. If the person is a contact for this JPA only, add them within the JPA request under Project Contacts / Team Members section.

How do I incorporate right-of-way (R/W) concerns into the JPA request?

Contact the appropriate right-of-way coordinator to help provide the JPA Group detailed information that is necessary to proceed (e.g., abandonment, TCE or encroachment permit information in the scope-of-work details). Provide an exhibit if necessary.

What if I have an abandonment issue?

Contact the right-of-way coordinator for details and/or possible exhibit to provide to the JPA Group.

Where do I find the budget source item number needed in the JPA request?

That number comes from the Five-Year Construction Plan and can be obtained from your group manager. It may also be on the project-master form.

How do I compute the match dollars for a federally funded project?

Divide the federal funds amount by the appropriate federal pro rata percentage (e.g., 0.943 for 94.3 percent) to get the “participating” dollars. Take that total amount and multiply by the match percentage (e.g., 0.057 for 5.7 percent) to get the entity’s match amount.

What if I’m not sure about the legality of a project with an entity?

Check with your group manager first, then consult with JPA personnel who can inquire with the attorney general’s office on your behalf.

How long does it take to execute an agreement?

On average, it takes 120 days to process an agreement. If all parties are in agreement, it can go more quickly.

How do I amend a master maintenance agreement?

If it’s an electrical agreement (i.e., for a new traffic signal), email or fax an amendment request with the exact location of the new signal, including milepost data, to the JPA branch. This new location will be added to the current exhibit’s listing. Include details regarding all changes to this agreement in the Scope of Work section. Provide an updated maintenance exhibit, if needed.

Where do I put bid date or other information in the JPA request?

Enter your non-scope-of-work information in the Additional Comments field.

Why do you need the specific TRACS number so soon?

The information on the project will be pulled from the Advantage system. The correct phase (01C) should be open so it can be referenced properly on the JPA draft. Construction charges don’t go into a 01D phase.