Planning Assistance Program
Between 2008 and 2012, Planning Assistance Program funding was awarded to small or resource-poor elementary and middle schools, school districts, nonprofit organizations and communities.
The intent of the program was to provide the applicant with technical resources needed to plan and implement their own SRTS projects.
This is not a program to improve school pick-up/drop-off areas for the benefit of cars and buses. This is not a program to construct only sidewalks. This is not a program to construct only crosswalks. All of the benefits of the variety of programs and projects are for the safety and walking/biking convenience of elementary and middle school students.
For previously awarded applications, ADOT enlists the services of a consultant for you. These are some of the services included:
- Conduct site/needs assessments of school area.
- Develop school walking and bicycling route plans and maps.
- Recommend infrastructure solutions and locations.
- Recommend and provide guidance for noninfrastructure solutions.
- Develop school bicycle/pedestrian education, enforcement, encouragement programs.
- Conduct pre- and post-program/project evaluations.
- Conduct SRTS training sessions and community meetings.