November 28, 2011
Motorists traveling on westbound Interstate 10 near Benson later this week can expect ramp closures and lane restrictions while the Arizona Department of Transportation prepares to open the newly constructed westbound lanes at the junction with State Route 90.
The northern section of the new overpass on westbound I-10 at the traffic interchange with SR 90 has recently been completed and traffic will soon use the new bridge while the southern section of the overpass is replaced.
The work is scheduled to begin Wednesday morning (November 30) and is intended to allow ADOT to move westbound traffic onto the first completed phase of new lanes on Friday afternoon. The work is part of the $27.6 million project to replace the I-10 overpass at SR 90 (Exit 302) and straighten two miles of the interstate west of the bridge.
Motorists can expect the following restrictions this week:
- Wednesday (November 30) between the morning hours of 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., the westbound entrance ramp from State Route 80 onto I-10 (Exit 303) will be closed to allow crews to remove the construction barrier wall. A message board on SR 80 will notify motorists to detour to Ocotillo Road (Exit 304) to enter westbound I-10.
- Wednesday from approximately 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m., the westbound I-10 exit ramp to SR 90 (Exit 302) will be closed to remove the construction barrier wall. Westbound I-10 motorists wishing to access SR 90 will be detoured to Mescal Road (Exit 297), where they may enter eastbound I-10 back to SR 90 (Exit 302).
- Friday (December 2) from 3 a.m. until 2 p.m., the westbound I-10 exit ramp onto SR 90 (Exit 302) will be closed to install a barrier wall on the new westbound lanes of I-10. Westbound motorists wishing to access SR 90 will be detoured to Mescal Road (Exit 297), where they may enter eastbound I-10 back to SR 90 (Exit 302).
- Friday from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m., the right lane of westbound I-10 will be closed from Ocotillo Road (Exit 304) to SR 80 (Exit 303) to allow crews to remove the existing highway striping.
- Friday from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m., the entrance ramp from SR 80 onto westbound I-10 will be closed to allow crews to stripe the area where the entrance ramp merges onto the new westbound interstate lanes. A message board on SR 80 will notify motorists to detour to Ocotillo Road (Exit 304) to enter westbound I-10.
All westbound traffic is expected to be moved onto the new lanes Friday afternoon.
ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact C.T. Revere, Safford District Senior Community Relations Officer at 520.705.3574. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.