Construction planned on Interstate 10 frontage road and Ruthrauff Road beginning Monday
October 13, 2011
The Arizona Department of Transportation will close the eastbound I-10 frontage road between El Camino del Cerro/Ruthrauff Road and the eastbound I-10 Prince Road exit ramp at 5:30 a.m. Monday (October 17). The frontage road will remain closed for up to three months for utility work.
The eastbound I-10 Prince Road exit ramp will remain open. Access to businesses in the area will continue to be available at all times. Travelers wishing to access businesses west of Prince Road and I-10 can use the westbound I-10 exit ramp at Prince Road.
In addition, the Union Pacific Railroad will close Ruthrauff Road, east of the westbound I-10 frontage road, for railroad crossing repairs beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday (October 20) through Friday (Nov. 4). All I-10 exit and entrance ramps and frontage roads at Camino del Cerro/Ruthrauff Road will remain open during this work.
The frontage road construction (not including the railroad work) is part of the Interstate 10 widening project between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road in Tucson.
What to expect during construction:
- Prince Road is closed west of I-10 through early 2012.
- The eastbound and westbound I-10 frontage roads and ramps at Prince Road are open.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10 and south of Prince Road along eastbound frontage road are available.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through early 2012.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10, along the westbound frontage roads and north of Prince Road in the Business Center Drive, Commerce Drive and Sweetwater Drive areas are available during construction by using the eastbound I-10 frontage road.
- Construction is anticipated to last approximately 26 months. As part of the project, the Prince Road underpass and ramps will close in early 2012 and will remain closed until the project is completed by late 2013.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing congestion and traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/tucson10widening or contact Linda Ritter, Tucson District Senior Community Relations Officer, at 520.388.4266 or Paki Rico, ADOT Community Relations Officer, at 520.388.4233. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.
Visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511, call 5-1-1 within Arizona,or 1.888.411.ROAD outside the state for current information regarding road conditions statewide.
Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov.
Please buckle up, observe speed limits, and never drink and drive.
For additional information contact:
ADOT Media Relations (email@example.com)
or call 800.949.8057