The process for consideration of a road can be initiated by any interested group or individual by requesting designation to the Parkways, Historic and Scenic Roads Advisory Committee (PHSRAC).
The PHSRAC reviews, prioritizes and evaluates the requests based on the established criteria and the quality of resources. Recommendations are then made to the Arizona Transportation Board for the designation of favorable routes. The PHSRAC may also review significant changes that may require deletion of a designation to maintain the integrity of the program.
The advisory committee is comprised of 11 members, which includes:
- Six citizen appointees by the governor
- One from the Arizona Department of Transportation
- One from Arizona State Parks Board
- One from the Arizona Historical Society
- One from the Arizona Office of Tourism and one from the Tourism Advisory Council