Improve Your Winter Driving Skills
Top 10 Skills for Winter Driving
1. Slow Down!
2. Be patient and allow additional time for your trip.
3. Drive defensively.
4. Carry snow chains in case highways are snow-packed and icy. Also be sure to pack a car safety kit.
5. Leave sufficient space behind snow plows so your vehicle is not hit by cinders. Two car lengths is suggested.
6. Leave room and be alert for emergency vehicles.
7. Have plenty of fuel so you can stay warm if you slide off the highway.
8. Stay in your vehicle if you slide off the roadway. The Department of Public Safety or the Arizona Department of Transportation will respond.
9. Check weather and road conditions before you leave. Let someone know your route.
10. Know the snow plow schedule on your route.