February 3, 2012
The Arizona Department of Transportation will not be closing the left lane on eastbound I-10 between Prince Road and Miracle Mile tonight, Thursday (Feb. 2). The closure was previously announced to take place from 9 p.m. tonight to 5 a.m. tomorrow morning for ongoing construction work on the I-10 Widening Project between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road in Tucson.
Other ongoing traffic impacts in the project area:
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road between the Ruthrauff Road entrance ramp and the Prince Road exit ramp is closed.
- Access to all businesses on the eastbound I-10 frontage road between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road is available by entering eastbound I-10 from Ruthrauff Road and immediately exiting at the Prince Road exit ramp.
- Prince Road is closed west of the eastbound I-10 frontage road to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. Access is available from Prince Road on the east side of I-10 to Prince Road on the west side of I-10, where Prince Road connects to the frontage road.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive, west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through spring 2012.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed for approximately 12 months.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Ruthrauff Road is currently closed for approximately two months in preparation of the crossover.
As part of the project, the Prince Road underpass and ramps are scheduled to close in early 2012 and will remain closed until the project is completed by late 2013. I-10 will remain open with three lanes in each direction during construction, including emergency access lanes, with only minimal short-term lane closures along I-10 in the project area when necessary. Construction is anticipated to last approximately 26 months. Access to all businesses in the construction area will remain throughout the project.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/tucson10widening or contact Linda Ritter, Tucson District Senior Community Relations Officer, at 520.388.4266. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.