April 26, 2012
As construction continues on the Interstate 10 widening project from Ruthrauff to Prince in Tucson, the Arizona Department of Transportation would like to alert drivers about the following lane restrictions and closures scheduled for next week:
From 9 p.m. Wednesday (April 25) to 5 a.m. Th ursday (April 26):
- The underpass at I-10 and Ruthrauff Road will be closed to allow crews to stripe the intersection.
- Drivers on westbound Ruthrauff Road will be able to make a right turn to access the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- Traffic exiting from westbound I-10 at Ruthrauff Road will be able to make a right turn to access eastbound Ruthrauff Road.
- Motorists on the eastbound I-10 frontage road will be able to make a right turn at Camino del Cerro.
- Eastbound Camino del Cerro traffic will be able to make a right turn to enter eastbound I-10.
From 7 p.m. Thursday (April 26) to 5 a.m. Friday (April 27):
- Westbound I-10 will be reduced to one lane from Grant Road to Ruthrauff Road to allow crews to set barriers prior to shifting traffic onto the westbound I-10 frontage road. During work hours, westbound I-10 traffic will be detoured to one lane on the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- The westbound I-10 entrance ramps at Grant Road and Miracle Mile will be closed.
- The westbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road will remain closed.
- The westbound I-10 exit ramp at Ruthrauff Road will be closed.
- As a detour during the closures, drivers on westbound I-10 wishing to access the area may use the exit ramps at Speedway Boulevard, Grant Road, Miracle Mile and Orange Grove Road.
- Drivers wishing to enter westbound I-10 may use the entrance ramps at Speedway Boulevard and Orange Grove Road.
Beginning 5 a.m. Friday (April 27), westbound I-10 drivers will begin traveling on the new temporary lanes along the westbound I-10 frontage road in the project area. Three lanes of I-10 will remain open during construction, with only minimal short-term lane closures along I-10 in the project when necessary. The speed limit on westbound I-10 will be reduced to 45 mph between Miracle Mile and Ruthrauff Road.
Prince Road Traffic Interchange Closure
The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 is closed through late 2013.
- Prince Road at I-10 and west of I-10 is closed to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- There is no access to westbound I-10 from eastbound Prince Road. Use alternate routes.
- The westbound entrance and exit ramps at I-10 and Prince Road are closed.
- Within the next 30 days, the eastbound I-10 Prince Road entrance and exit ramps will close.
- Runway Drive at Prince Road will be closed within the next two weeks and traffic will be detoured to Romero Road and Gardner Lane.
Other Ongoing Traffic Impacts in the Project Area:
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road between the Ruthrauff Road entrance ramp and the Prince Road exit ramp is closed.
- Access to all businesses on the eastbound I-10 frontage road between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road is available by entering eastbound I-10 from Ruthrauff Road and immediately exiting at the Prince Road exit ramp.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive, west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through spring 2012.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed for approximately 12 months.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project, please visit www.azdot.gov/tucson10widening or contact ADOT Tucson District Senior Community Relations Officer, Linda Ritter, at 520-388-4266, firstname.lastname@example.org or ADOT Community Relations Officer, Paki Rico, at 520-388-4233, email@example.com.
Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 1.800.949.8057. Visit www.facebook.com/azdot
for more information about ADOT. Information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona are also on the agency's latest blog posts at http://adotblog.blogspot.com