August 24, 2012
The following late night closures and restrictions will be in place (weather permitting) on Interstate 17 at Cordes Junction next week as crews work on the new bridges, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation:
Monday, August 27:
- Alternating lane restrictions northbound on I-17 from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. as crews work on the Arcosanti bridge (north of the existing Cordes Jct. bridge).
Tuesday, August 28:
- Drivers on southbound I-17 will be shifted onto the off and on ramps at Arcosanti bridge from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. to allow crews to work on the new bridge over I-17.
Thursday, August 30:
- Intermittent full closures of I-17 are expected for up to 15 minutes at a time between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. for bridge work over I-17.
- The on-ramp from State Route 69 to northbound I-17 will be closed from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Traffic will be detoured three miles south on I-17 to Bloody Basin Road (Exit 259) and then directed to use I-17 northbound.
- Traffic will be narrowed to one lane in each direction and will be diverted to the southbound lanes through the work zone from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. as crews work on the flyover bridge above I-17.
Drivers are encouraged to adjust their travel schedules in order to avoid the closures during those hours or allow extra travel time.
The work is part of a $50 million project to reconstruct the I-17/State Route 69 traffic interchange.
The work zone will be clearly marked by temporary barricades and signage. ADOT advises drivers to allow additional time to reach their destinations and to proceed through the work zone with caution, comply with the reduced speed limit, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact Tricia Lewis, Prescott District Senior Community Relations Officer, at 928.606.2420. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.