Reconstruction of Cordes Junction traffic interchange begins this month
August 29, 2011
PRESCOTT — The Arizona Department of Transportation has started a project to reconstruct the Cordes Junction traffic interchange at Interstate 17 and State Route 69. The nearly $50 million project is scheduled for completion in approximately two years.
The Cordes Junction traffic interchange was built almost 50 years ago when traffic volumes were much lower and it mixes local and through traffic, resulting in congestion and delays. The interchange now serves more than 13,000 vehicles per day in addition to 27,000 vehicles that travel through on I-17.
The project will be constructed in four phases and will include the following:
- Construction of a new traffic interchange approximately half a mile north of the existing interchange. The new interchange will provide access to the businesses at Cordes Junction, the Cordes Lakes and Arcosanti communities.
- Removal of the outdated on and off ramp.
- Construction of new ramps to separate Prescott-bound traffic from local traffic traveling at slower speeds.
- Replacement of the I-17 bridges over Big Bug Creek.
Initial work will include relocation of utilities and construction of a temporary detour. Impacts to the traveling public are not expected until mid to late October.
What to expect during construction:
- There will be varying traffic shifts with well-marked temporary detours
- Speeds through the construction zone will be reduced; drivers should plan for extra travel time
- Access to businesses will be maintained throughout the course of the project
- The construction team will coordinate closely with businesses and keep the traveling public and local community informed as construction progresses.
ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts at http://adotblog.blogspot.com.
Visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511, call 5-1-1 within Arizona,or 1.888.411.ROAD outside the state for current information regarding road conditions statewide.
Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov.
Please buckle up, observe speed limits, and never drink and drive.