PHOENIX – The Arizona Department of Transportation will reopen several roads in the White Mountains, which are closed annually for the winter season, beginning April 15.
This winter season did not have the heavy snowfall accumulations as in past winters, but ADOT still takes the time to inspect the roads for any leftover snow drifts or downed trees which have been blown into the roadway from the high winds. ADOT crews will also look to complete any road repairs which may affect traffic.
The safety of all motorists is a top priority for ADOT before allowing traffic on previously closed roads.
The highways that will reopen on April 15 are State Route 261 between Eagar and Big Lake; State Route 273 between Sunrise Park and Big Lake; and State Route 473 between State Route 260 and Hawley Lake.
ADOT encourages motorists to enjoy the mountains this summer and return home safely by observing the following tips:
- Make sure you and your passengers are buckled in
- Check your vehicle before you go; proper tire pressure is important
- Be patient (don’t speed and don’t follow other vehicles too closely)
- Get an adequate amount of sleep before your trip
- Bring extra water and food
- Build some extra travel time into your schedule
- Never drink and drive
- Before you leave, check for information about highway restrictions across Arizona at ADOT’s Traveler Information website, az511.gov or dial 5-1-1.