Vehicle Services

Plates and Placards

Disability Symbol

Many plate types are available with a disability symbol (International Symbol of Access). The disability symbol provides the disabled applicant the privilege of parking in specially marked parking spaces provided for the exclusive use of physically disabled persons. The disabled applicant must be the driver or a passenger in the vehicle when the disability parking space is used.

You must complete a Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard Application or have one on file. Disability plates are available to individuals and organizations, but may not be issued to trailers.

If the applicant is under the age of 18 and not capable of signing, a legal guardian may sign and indicate relationship to the applicant. If the applicant is over the age of 18 and not capable of signing, a copy of a power-of-attorney form is required before the application can be accepted.

Plates are assigned to, and may only be displayed on, a specific vehicle registered or leased in the disabled applicant's name. If leased, but not registered in the applicant's name, a document showing the disabled applicant as a lessee is required. A disability plate may be transferred to another qualifying vehicle by visiting the nearest MVD or Authorized Third Party Office.

Permanent and Temporary Disability Placards are issued to the disabled applicant and may not be duplicated, transferred to, or used by, another person. Permanent Disability Placards are valid for five years (provided the medical condition continues) and may be renewed online. A lost, stolen or mutilated placard may be replaced with an online request. There is no charge for the placards.

Temporary Disability Placards are valid for six months. At the end of six months, if the medical condition continues, a new application/certification is required.

For placard replacements, if the current record cannot be located and the original application is unavailable for verification, a new application will be required. A temporary disability placard will be issued with the same expiration date that appeared on the lost, stolen or mutilated placard. A new temporary placard with a full six-month use period may be issued upon completion of a new application.

A lost, stolen or mutilated disability plate may be replaced for a $5 fee. You must submit ADOT MVD Plate Notice form 48-3302.

Most other states and the provinces of Canada have agreed to honor Arizona disability plates and placards. When traveling by vehicle in other states, provinces or foreign countries, it is a good idea to contact the appropriate motor vehicle authorities.

Use of plates or placards in violation of Arizona law may result in fines and penalties charged to the operator, to the person in charge or to the owner of the vehicle, and the plate or placard may be recalled.

Medical Certification
The Medical Certification section on the application must be completed by an authorized physician (doctor of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry or chiropractic, licensed to practice medicine in the United States), a registered nurse practitioner or by a hospital administrator. Applicants must meet one or more of these conditions:
  • The applicant is unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.
  • The applicant is unable to walk without help from another person or a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair or other prosthetic or assistance device.
  • The applicant has lung disease that with forced respiratory, expiratory volume for one second, if measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the applicant's arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest.
  • The applicant uses portable oxygen.
  • The applicant has a cardiac condition with Class 3 or 4 functional limitations by American Heart Association standards.
  • The applicant is severely limited in ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.

Visual impairment in and of itself does not qualify a person for a plate or placard.

For additional information, please see our Vehicle Services FAQ.