Vehicle Services

Plates and Placards

Hearing Impaired

The Hearing Impaired plate and placard alert law enforcement, emergency services and others approaching the vehicle that the driver is hearing impaired. The plate is not for special parking privileges.

The Medical Certification section on the application must be completed by a person licensed to practice medicine in the United States or an audiologist certified by the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association. Applicant must be unable to hear or understand normal speech, with or without a hearing aid, in optimal conditions.

The Hearing Impaired plate

  • is in a special, reserved number format beginning with the letter "H."
  • may not be personalized.
  • is available for trailers.
  • is valid for as long as the medical certification remains valid.

If the applicant is under the age of 18 and not capable of signing, a legal guardian may sign and indicate relationship to the applicant. If the applicant is over the age of 18 and not capable of signing, a copy of a power of attorney form is required before the application can be accepted.

Plates are assigned to, and may only be displayed on, a specific vehicle registered or leased in the disabled applicant’s name. If leased, but not registered in the applicant’s name, a document showing the disabled applicant as a lessee is required. A disability plate may be transferred to another qualifying vehicle by visiting the nearest MVD or Authorized Third Party Office.

Placards are issued to the disabled applicant and may not be duplicated, transferred to, or used by, another person. Permanent placards are valid for five years (provided the medical condition continues) and may be renewed. Temporary placards are valid for six months. At the end of six months, if the medical condition continues, a new application/certification is required.

A lost, stolen or mutilated plate or placard may be replaced. The fee is $5 for replacement plates. There is no fee for replacement placards. You must submit a Placard Renewal/Replacement Request form.

For placard replacements, if the current record cannot be located and the original application is unavailable for verification, a new application will be required.

Use of plates or placards in violation of Arizona law may result in fines and penalties charged to the operator, person in-charge or to the owner of the vehicle, and the plate or placard may be recalled.

For additional information, please see our Vehicle Services FAQ.