An owner may register a qualifying vehicle for a five-year period. Any vehicles not subject to emissions testing requirement for the entire five-year registration cycle are eligible for five-year registration. Vehicles receiving only the "basic" emissions test and out-of-state exemptions are not eligible for a two-year or five-year renewal.
These vehicle registrations are eligible for a five-year registration:
- Most vehicles registered outside the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas
- Vehicles with model year 1966 and older
- New vehicles that have never been registered in Arizona or in any other state
- Commercially registered trailers 10,000 lbs GVW and less
- Solar, electric and hydrogen powered alternative fuel vehicles
These vehicle registrations are not
eligible for a five-year registration:
- All vehicles that require a one-or two-year emissions test
- Allocated registration
- Apportioned registration
- Permanent registration
- Interstate registration
- Taxi registration
- Vehicles with a GVW over 55,000 lbs
- New alternative fuel powered vehicles that have never been registered in Arizona or in any other state
- Vehicles used primarily off highway that have been issued an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal
- Vehicles under the seasonal agricultural, reduced fees registration provision
The vehicle license tax and other applicable fees are calculated and paid for five years at the time of registration. Only a one-year registration fee is required to be paid for the entire period.
For special or personalized plates, the appropriate special plate/personalization fees for a five-year period will be collected at the time of registration.
For a vehicle commercially registered, the commercial registration fees, weight fees, motor carrier fees and all other applicable fees are calculated and paid for five years at the time of registration.
For additional information, please see our Vehicle Services FAQ.