ADOT has taken steps to coordinate construction work on two separate projects that will widen the Loop 101 from Shea Boulevard to the Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) interchange. Combining the two projects (Shea Boulevard to Chaparral Road and Chaparral Road to the Loop 202) will help save money and speed up completion. The project will include these features:
- An additional travel lane southbound from Shea Boulevard to McKellips Road
- An additional travel lane northbound from McDowell Road to Shea Boulevard
- Two additional travel lanes from the northbound Loop 101 / Loop 202 interchange entrance ramp to McDowell Road
- Chaparral Road traffic-interchange improvements
- A quieter and smoother driving experience due to the use of rubberized asphalt on the widened roadway surface
Construction is estimated to begin summer 2014.