SR 77 Construction north of Tucson July 31-Aug. 9
Motorists traveling on State Route 77 (Oracle Road), north of Oro Valley to Catalina, should be aware of the following traffic restrictions as the Arizona Department of Transportation will be shifting traffic overnight to the southbound side of SR 77 beginning at 11 p.m. Thursday, (Aug. 6), to 5 a.m. Friday, (Aug. 7).
The work is part of a project to widen the roadway between Tangerine Road and the Pinal County line.
- Traffic will be driving on the southbound side of SR 77 beginning Friday morning (Aug. 7) through the end of the year to allow crews to construct the east side of the new wildlife overpass and underpass and widen the northbound side of State Route 77. (See attached map.)
- North- and southbound SR 77 traffic will be unable to turn left between Wilds Road and Vistoso Commerce Loop during this work; however, left turns will be allowed on:
- Northbound SR 77 at Scenic Overlook Place
- Northbound SR 77 at the Catalina Transfer Station
- Southbound SR 77 at the Santa Catalina Catholic Church
- U-turns will be allowed at Wilds Road and Vistoso Commerce Loop Drive.
- SR 77 traffic is currently shifted to the northbound side of SR 77 between Wilds Road and Vistoso Commerce Loop through Thursday (Aug. 6).
- SR 77 will be narrowed to one lane in both directions nightly from Tangerine Road to Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard Sunday (Aug. 2) through Thursday (Aug. 6) from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for paving.
Law enforcement will be monitoring this area as the speed limit has been reduced as follows:
- 40 mph from Tangerine Road to Rancho Vistoso Boulevard.
- 35 mph from Rancho Vistoso Boulevard to Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard.
The north- and southbound SR 77 shoulders between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard are closed through the remainder of the project.
The following right turn bays will remain closed through 2015:
- Southbound SR 77 between Vistoso Commerce Loop and Tangerine Road
- Southbound SR 77 at Thistle Road
- Northbound SR 77 at Golder Ranch Drive
Additionally, intermittent driveway closures will continue along SR 77, north of Tangerine Road, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays through summer 2015 for installing curb, concrete driveways, grading and paving. Driveway access will be maintained.
Drivers, cyclists and pedestrian are urged to obey traffic control, stay away from where crews are working and be cautious while traveling through the work zone, especially in the detour area as shoulders will be significantly restricted.
In addition, please be aware of the following traffic control:
- Two lanes of travel in each direction will remain open through the work zone during the day.
- Additional lane restrictions throughout the work boundaries as needed.
- Cyclists will need to merge safely onto the traffic lane during shoulder closures.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned roadway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur due to weather or equipment issues.
Drivers are reminded to share the road, be cautious, and slow down while traveling through the work zone.
For more information about this project, please call Paki Rico at 520.388.4233, email firstname.lastname@example.org.