Work on SR 77 in Catalina North of Tucson (Dec. 12-19)
Motorists traveling on SR 77 (Oracle Road), north of Oro Valley to Catalina, should be aware of the following traffic restrictions as part of a project to widen the roadway between Tangerine Road and the Pinal County line.
North- and southbound SR 77 are reduced to one lane nightly, Sunday through Thursday, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. between Golder Ranch Drive and Pinto Lane for installation and removal of drainage pipe. The posted speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph as needed.
Golder Ranch Drive is reduced to one lane in each direction between SR 77 and Twin Lakes through February 2015 for grading work at the driveways and road between Twin lakes and SR 77. Business access will be maintained.
Wilds Road at SR 77 will be closed beginning 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 18, through 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 23, to remove and install cattle guard and drainage pipe. Traffic will be detoured to Golder Ranch Drive.
The following right-turn bays will remain closed until early 2015:
- Southbound SR 77 between Vistoso Commerce Loop and Tangerine Road
- Northbound SR 77 at Golder Ranch Drive
- Southbound SR 77 at Thistle Road
The left-turn bay on southbound SR 77 at Rancho Vistoso Boulevard, will be closed Friday, Dec. 12, through Tuesday, Dec. 16, to install a signal pole.
There will be nightly driveway closures along northbound SR 77 between Mountainaire Drive and Wilds Road from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through February 2015.
- Mountainaire Drive at SR 77 is restricted from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily to install a cattle guard and drainage pipe through mid-December. Access will be maintained.
- The driveway work on northbound SR 77 in front of the Santa Catalina Church will continue through early next year. Access will be maintained.
- The north- and southbound SR 77 shoulders between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard are closed through the remainder of the project.
Additionally, intermittent driveway closures will continue along SR 77, north of Tangerine Road, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays through early December for utility work and installation of cattle guards. Driveway access will be maintained.
Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are urged to be cautious while traveling through the work zone.
Law enforcement will be monitoring this area as the speed limit has change to 45 mph between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Road.
Please be aware of additional traffic control:
- Two lanes of travel in each direction will be maintained through the work zone during the day.
- The speed limit is 45 mph during the day, but it may be reduced at other times.
- There will be additional lane restrictions throughout the work boundaries as needed.
- Cyclists will need to merge safely onto the traffic lane during shoulder closures.
Drivers are reminded to share the road, be cautious, and slow down while traveling through the work zone.
For more information about this project, please contact Paki Rico by calling 520.388.4233 or emailing PRico@azdot.gov.