SR 77 Construction north of Tucson April 24 - May 3
Motorists traveling on State Route 77 Oracle Road), north of Oro Valley to Catalina, should be aware of the following traffic restrictions as the Arizona Department of Transportation has detoured traffic onto northbound SR 77 through summer 2015. The work is part of a project to widen the roadway between Tangerine Road and the Pinal County line.
Law enforcement will be monitoring this area as the speed limit has been reduced as follows:
- 40 mph from Tangerine Road to Rancho Vistoso Boulevard
- 35 mph from Rancho Vistoso Boulevard to Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard
SR 77 between Vistoso Commerce Loop and Wilds Road will be reduced to one lane nightly in both directions Sunday, April 26 and Monday, April 27, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for utility work.
SR 77 between Tangerine Road and Big Wash Overlook Place will have 5-minute intermittent closures Tuesday, April 28, through Thursday, April 30, between 5 a.m. and 12 p.m., to allow crews to transport several trucks carrying concrete bridge girders, approximately 155 feet long, from Interstate 10, to Tangerine Road to Oracle Road.
- Law enforcement will be stationed at Tangerine Road and Big Wash Overlook Place to guide traffic through the work zone.
- The girders will be erected during the day April 28 through April 30.
Paving is scheduled to begin at Golder Ranch Road in early May.
SR 77 traffic has been shifted to the northbound side of SR 77 between Wilds Road and Vistoso Commerce Loop through summer 2015 to allow crews to construct the west side of the new wildlife overpass and underpass and widen the southbound side of SR 77. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction.
- North- and southbound SR 77 traffic will be unable to turn left between Wilds Road and Vistoso Commerce Loop during this work.
The lane reduction on SR 77 has been extended to Tangerine Road through summer 2015.
The north- and southbound SR 77 shoulders between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard are closed through the remainder of the project.
The following right-turn bays will remain closed through 2015:
- Southbound SR 77 between Vistoso Commerce Loop and Tangerine Road
- Southbound SR 77 at Thistle Road
- Northbound SR 77 at Golder Ranch Drive
Additionally, intermittent driveway closures will continue along SR 77, north of Tangerine Road, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays through summer 2015 for installing curb, concrete driveways, grading and paving. Driveway access will be maintained.
Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are urged to obey traffic control, stay away from where crews are working and be cautious while traveling through the work zone, especially in the detour area as shoulders will be significantly restricted.
In addition, please be aware of the following traffic control:
- Two lanes of travel in each direction will remain open through the work zone during the day.
- There will be additional lane restrictions throughout the work boundaries as needed.
- Cyclists will need to merge safely into the traffic lane during shoulder closures.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned roadway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur due to weather or equipment issues.
Drivers are reminded to share the road, be cautious, and slow down while traveling through the work zone.
For more information about this project, please contact Paki Rico by calling 520.388.4233 or emailing PRico@azdot.gov.