May 23, 2012
The Arizona Department of Transportation will be closing the right lane on eastbound I-10 and the Ruthrauff Road eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from 9 p.m. to midnight Wednesday (May 23) to set temporary concrete barriers in the work zone as construction continues on the Interstate 10 widening project from Ruthrauff Road to Prince Road.
Other ongoing traffic impacts in the project area:
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road and Prince Road intersection is closed through early 2013.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Commerce Drive and north of the Prince Road intersection is a two-way road through early 2013.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Fort Lowell Road and south of the Prince Road intersection is a two-way road through early 2013.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is open to one lane between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road.
- Business Center Drive, west of I-10, has been extended to the eastbound I-10 frontage road in order to provide a detour and access to area businesses while Prince Road is closed.
- Eastbound I-10 drivers are traveling on the new temporary lanes on westbound I-10 in the project area.
- Westbound I-10 drivers are traveling on the temporary lanes on the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed through early 2013.
- Three lanes of I-10 will remain open during construction, with only minimal short-term lane closures on I-10 in the project area when necessary.
- The speed limit will be reduced to 55 mph on eastbound I-10 and 45 mph on westbound I-10 between Ruthrauff Road and Miracle Mile.
- Runway Drive at Prince Road is closed through early July 2012. Traffic will be detoured to Romero Road and Gardner Lane.
Prince Road Traffic Interchange Closure
- The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 is closed through late 2013.
- Prince Road at I-10 and west of I-10 is closed to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- There is no access to westbound I-10 from eastbound Prince Road. Use alternate routes.
- The westbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are closed through late 2013.
- The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are be closed through late 2013.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact Linda Ritter, Tucson District Senior Community Relations Officer, at 520.388.4266 or Paki Rico, ADOT Community Relations Officer, at 520.388.4233. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona, see the agency's latest blog posts.