Media Center


ADOT News Release

For additional information:

ADOT Media Relations



Giss Parkway interchange at Interstate 8 opens in Yuma

ADOT project creates area’s first freeway modern roundabout
September 05, 2017

YUMA – The Yuma area’s first modern roundabout for a freeway interchange has opened at the Giss Parkway ramps connecting with Interstate 8.

Giss RoundaboutSome work remains on the $2.5 million project to replace a T intersection for the on- and off-ramps from westbound I-8, the last exit before drivers reach the Colorado River. The project also includes improved lighting, signage and drainage, as well as accommodations for cyclists.

Work began in March and will be completed this fall.

“Modern roundabouts are designed to move traffic more efficiently without the use of traffic lights,” said Paul Patane, ADOT’s Southwest District engineer. “ADOT has used modern roundabouts in other parts of the state, and they have proven to move traffic smoothly and safely without the long delays that can come with traffic signals and stop signs.”

ADOT crews also are constructing two modern roundabouts at Araby Road in Yuma.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964 y la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés), el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT por sus siglas en inglés) no discrimina por raza, color, nacionalidad, edad, género o discapacidad. Personas que requieren asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o por discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más pronto posible para asegurar que el equipo encargado del proyecto tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.