Monday, August 15, 2016

What international visitors need to know before driving in Arizona

2016-0810 - International drivers

By Caroline Carpenter / ADOT Communications

Arizona residents know they need a driver license to legally drive in the state, but they're not the only ones. International visitors wanting to get behind the wheel also need to get an Arizona driver license.

With a few exceptions, most foreign visitors need to obtain an Arizona driver license to legally drive in Arizona. That includes passing vision, written and driving tests.

There are three countries that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona: Canada, Germany, and Taiwan. Canadian citizens are exempt from taking the road test but are still required to pass the written exam.

With Arizona’s driver license requirements in place to keep everyone safe on the roads, here are some of the most common questions international visitors have about obtaining a driver license in Arizona:

Can I use an international driver license in place of an Arizona license?
Some drivers obtain an international driver license, but that license doesn’t satisfy Arizona’s requirements. Arizona still requires those with an international driver license to get an Arizona driver license.

If I’m an international visitor, what documentation do I need to get an Arizona license?
Arizona offers a Standard Driver License and a Voluntary Travel ID. There are different identification requirements for each license. Most international visitors who are in the country for a recreational visit and aren't U.S. citizens or permanent residents or are here for employment have one set of identification requirements. Those who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who have an employment authorization document issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security have a different set of documentation requirements. Of course, everyone’s situation is unique, and you must determine which driver license is appropriate for you.

If I live in another country, how will I get my permanent driver license?
Since a temporary license is issued after a driver passes the exam, international drivers will have to wait for their permanent license to arrive in the mail. The Motor Vehicle Division can mail your license to your home in another country.

What happens if I don’t get a license?
Drivers may be cited by law enforcement.
Posted by Caroline Carpenter   |  Labels:  Driver-License, foreign-driver, international-driver-license, international-drivers


The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps citizens to resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil RightsTitle VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964 y la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés), el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT por sus siglas en inglés) no discrimina por raza, color, nacionalidad, edad, género o discapacidad.  Personas que requieren asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o por discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más pronto posible para asegurar que el equipo encargado del proyecto tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.