Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Follow biologists locating, and relocating, chuckwallas for South Mountain Freeway

By Mike Harris and John Dougherty / ADOT Communications

Capturing chuckwallas is no easy task. We saw that ourselves recently when we followed biologists searching cracks other hiding places to locate and move these large lizards from a segment where South Mountain Freeway construction is scheduled to begin in mid-2018.

As our news release notes, chuckwallas need a hand to relocate. Unlike most other animals, they hunker down rather than flee when facing danger.

Approximately 120 chuckwallas were captured and released several hundred feet away when biologists made several visits to the area over the summer.

The video above and photo slideshow below show the search, as well as how biologists weighed, measured and tagged chuckwallas before releasing them.

South Mountain Freeway Chuckwalla Relocation
Posted by Steve Elliott   |  Labels:  biology, chuckwalla, Construction, South-Mountain-Freeway


The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.