Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Highway workers have tips for coping with Arizona’s blistering heat

SMF Heat

By Peter Corbett / ADOT Communications

Joined by news media, we were out at a South Mountain Freeway construction site this morning talking about how workers beat the extreme heat.

In fact, many ADOT crews and contractors' employees work outdoors throughout the year, and things these workers do when the temperature blows past 110 can help keep you safe as well:
  • Start work earlier in the day and finish before the hottest part of the day in the afternoon.
  • Stay hydrated with cool water.
  • Use sun protection, including a hat, light-colored and long-sleeved cotton shirt, and wear sunscreen.
  • Use a buddy system to watch for early signs of heat illness.
  • If you’re not used to working in extreme heat, acclimate over several days by taking extra time to rest in the shade and drink water.
In addition, ADOT has tips for traveling in extreme heat at
Posted by Steve Elliott   |  Labels:  heat, South-Mountain-Freeway


The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.