Vehicle Services


Title and Registration ApplicationApplying for Title and Registration

When you buy a vehicle, Arizona law requires that you apply for a title within 15 days of purchase and take the application to an MVD Office or Authorized Third Party provider to complete the process. A title transfer penalty may be assessed if a title application is submitted beyond this time. If your vehicle was registered in another state and you wish to operate it in Arizona, you must register it as soon as you become an Arizona resident

If you attempt to register a vehicle without a title you may be required to purchase a bond from an insurance company, which can be time consuming and require an added expense.

Transferring a Title and Registration

To transfer a title and registration, you must have these items:

  • A completed, signed Title and Registration Application
  • A signed and notarized vehicle title
  • A lien release, if applicable
  • All applicable title and registration fees
  • Any other documents that apply (e.g, original or certified copy of power of attorney, personal representative papers, etc.)

If there is a lien on the vehicle that has not been paid off, written permission from the lienholder/lender will be required to add or delete a name.

Out-of-State Vehicle Title and Registration

To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you must have these items:

  • A completed, signed Title and Registration Application
  • An emission compliance form (Phoenix and Tucson areas only)
  • A Level I vehicle inspection, if out-of-state title and/or registration is missing
  • An out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder)
  • Out-of-state license plates
  • A lien clearance, if applicable
  • Power of Attorney from the lessor (original or certified copy), if leased vehicle
  • Payment of all applicable title and registration fees

Registration Fees

The cost to title and register your vehicle varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4 title fee, an $8 registration fee ($9 for motorcycles), an air-quality research fee of $1.50 and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee if the vehicle is registered as commercial.

VLT Information

The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60 percent of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25 percent for each year since the vehicle was first registered (15 percent before Aug. 1, 1998). Then, as of the Dec. 1, 2000, reduction, the rate is calculated for each $100 of the assessed value as $2.80 for new vehicles and $2.89 for used vehicles. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first-year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06. For a mobile home, the title fee is $7 per section or unit. No other mobile home fees are payable to MVD.

Abandoned Vehicles

For information on abandoned vehicles, please see our Abandoned Vehicles pages.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.