Vehicle Services


Commercial Vehicle Registration

You may need to register your vehicle as commercial if certain conditions apply.

Light Duty Vehicles

Passenger cars, ¾ ton or less pickup trucks and ¾ ton or less vans, used for commercial purposes 1,000 or more hours in a vehicle registration year, must be registered commercially. 

A vehicle registered in the name of a commercial enterprise must be registered commercially unless the registering applicant certifies that the vehicle will not be maintained and used for commercial purposes.

For the registration of 1-ton pickup trucks used for either commercial or personal use, the applicant must declare a gross weight and pay gross weight fees and a $4.00 commercial fee.

What is a declared gross weight?

Gross weight is the sum of the empty weight in pounds of a motor vehicle combination (power unit and trailer) plus the weight in pounds of the load to be carried on the motor vehicle combination at any point in time.  Customers declare the maximum gross weight at which they will operate their vehicle and then pay the corresponding fee as determined by the following table.

Weight/Fee Table

Gross Weight (lbs) Gross Weight Fee
up to 8,000 $7.50
8,001 to 10,000 36.00
10,001 to 12,000 63.00
12,001 to 14,000 103.00
14,001 to 16,000 121.00
16,001 to 18,000 144.00
18,001 to 20,000 162.00
20,001 to 22,000 198.00
22,001 to 24,000 216.00
24,001 to 26,000 234.00
26,001 to 28,000 288.00
28,001 to 30,000 324.00
30,001 to 32,000 378.00
32,001 to 36,000 414.00
36,001 to 40,000 468.00
40,001 to 45,000 522.00
45,001 to 50,000 576.00
50,001 to 55,000 630.00
55,001 to 60,000 684.00
60,001 to 65,000 738.00
65,001 to 70,000 792.00
70,001 to 75,000 864.00
75,001 to 80,000 918.00
Established by A.R.S. § 28-5433

Commercial Motor Vehicles and Federal Regulations

Vehicles that meet the definition of commercial motor vehicle must register commercially and comply with federal commercial motor vehicle regulations.  

Information on when a commercial driver license is needed.  

When Do I Need a U.S. DOT Number?

You meet the definition of a Motor Carrier and must obtain a U.S. DOT number, if:

  • You generate revenue through the transportation of your own property or the property of others (for-hire); or
  • You perform a service that is a part of your business or have a personal hobby that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs and operate in interstate commerce or a GVWR of more than 18,000 lbs and operate in intrastate commerce.

You may need more than one type of U.S. DOT number depending on the type of cargo, materials, or passengers that you transport.  

Related Links

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.