Frequently Asked Questions

Commercial Driver License

Commercial License Information

Which type of CDL do I need?

To determine if a CDL is required, the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicles must be determined.

  • A Class A CDL is required to operate a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) if the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 or more pounds when the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer, which is added to the GVWR of the power unit (the truck), is 10,001 pounds or more.
  • A Class B CDL is required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. A trailer may be towed if the GVWR of the trailer is 10,000 pounds or fewer.
  • A Class C CDL is required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or fewer if the vehicle is required to be placarded to transport hazardous materials or if the vehicle transports 16 or more passengers, including the driver. An applicant must also have a passenger (P) or hazardous materials endorsement (HME) to obtain a Class C CDL.

When is a road test required?

A road/skills test is required

  • to apply for a CDL for the first time.
  • to apply to upgrade an existing CDL, such as going from a Class C to a Class B, or a Class B to a Class A.
  • to apply for an endorsement that requires a separate road/skills test, such as in the case of a motorcycle, passenger vehicle and/or school bus.
  • to remove an L (air brake) restriction from an existing CDL.
  • when there is cause to believe an applicant is noncompliant with medical standards and requirements.
  • where the driving privilege has been suspended, canceled or revoked for one year or more.

However, a road/skills test may be required at anytime you apply for a license or endorsement.

What if I don’t have a vehicle for the road test?

We do not provide vehicles. If you do not have access to a vehicle, you may wish to contact a third-party driver license examiner authorized to give the road test using their vehicle.

What is the fee for a road test?

The fee for a road/skills test is

  • $25 for Class A or B.
  • $12.50 for Class C.
  • $5 for a passenger/bus endorsement (when added to an existing CDL).

How many tries do I have to pass the CDL tests?

CDL Knowledge (written) Tests: Upon payment of all applicable fees, you have three attempts to pass the knowledge tests, within 12 months from the date of the application. For a multipart test, if you fail a section but pass another, you receive credit for the passed sections and do not have to repeat them. After three failed attempts to pass the remaining sections of the test, you must pay for a new application. If you also applied for endorsements, you have three attempts to pass each endorsement test.

CDL Skills Tests: After obtaining a CDL instruction permit, you may take the skills tests, consisting of a pretrip inspection, skills test and road test. Upon payment of the skills test fees, you have three attempts to pass the skills tests. The skills test has three parts. If you fail a section but pass another, you receive credit for the passed sections and do not have to repeat them. After three failed attempts to pass all sections of the test you must pay a new skills test fee, which will give you an additional three attempts.

NOTE: You will be allowed to pay for additional skills test attempts, provided your CDL instruction permit remains valid. If the permit has expired, all knowledge tests must be taken again to obtain a new permit before making another attempt at the skills tests.

The CDL instruction permit is valid for six months. It can be renewed one time, provided it has been fewer than 12 months from the initial application date.

If my CDL is medically suspended and revoked for one year or more, how do I apply for reinstatement?

Pay a reinstatement fee of $30 ($10 for the suspension and $20 for the revocation), $10 for a limited Class D operator license; the cost of an original CDL instruction permit (A and B are $25; C is $12.50), and $10 for each endorsement.

Take all applicable CDL knowledge (written) tests.

A limited Class D operator license is issued; if the CDL written tests are passed, the appropriate class CDL instruction permit is also issued.

A road/skills test is required for certain endorsements (see the next question for more information). If tested by MVD, the fee is $25 for Class A or B CDL skill tests and $12.50 for Class C. Payment of this fee entitles you to three attempts to pass the CDL skill tests.

Payment for reinstatement fees may be made by cash, cashier's check or money order. Some offices accept credit cards. Payment by cash, credit card or both are not accepted by mail. No personal checks are accepted.

A new hazardous materials endorsement (HME) background check will be required if you are not reinstated within a year of a suspension or revocation.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.