Dealer Services and Licensing

E-Title Phase I – Dealer Reassignment Transfer

Helpful resources for dealers and other impacted groups relating to E-Title Phase I - Dealer Reassignment Transfer.

Frequently Used Forms

You'll find some of the most frequently used forms for dealers, manufacturers and distributors on this page.

Manufacturer/Distributor Licensing

These pages contain important licensing information for manufacturers and distributors.

Motor Vehicle Dealer Licensing

These pages contain important licensing information for franchised motor vehicle dealers, wholesale auto auction dealers, wholesale motor vehicle dealers, used motor vehicle dealers, public consignment auction dealer, brokers and automotive recyclers.

Frequently Asked Questions

Motor Vehicle Dealer License:

If there is a change in the license type (wholesale to used, used to new, etc.), do I need a new license?

Yes, submit form # 46-0408 Motor Vehicle Dealer Application and you will be issued a new dealer license upon approval.  Dealer plates are license specific and will not transfer. To order new dealer plates, complete form # 48-5125 Dealer Plate Application, if applicable.

If the entity changes (Inc to LLC, Individual to Partnership, Inc to new Inc, etc.) do I need a new license?

Yes, submit form # 46-0408 Motor Vehicle Dealer Application and you will be issued a new dealer license upon approval.  Dealer plates are license specific and will not transfer. To order new dealer plates, complete form # 48-5125 Dealer Plate Application, if applicable.

Can a NEW dealer operate from a trailer or mobile home?

Yes, if the wheels are removed and the dealer OWNS the property the trailer is on.  If the dealer owns the property and the trailer or mobile home is permanently affixed, the dealer can have the county assessor issued an “affidavit of affixture” which makes the trailer a permanently enclosed structure.  The trailer will then be issued a DEED rather than a title.  A dealer who is only renting the property may not sell NEW products from a trailer.

Is a broker required to have a separate entrance that opens to the outside?

No.  A Broker is not required to have an “established place of business” as defined in ARS 28-4301.8(a).  A Broker must have a commercial location and meet security and sign requirements as outlined in the Dealer Licensing website for a “principle place of business” as outlined in ARS 28-4406.B.

Can a sign be painted on glass?

Yes, the sign may be painted on a window or storefront and must meet all requirements including size and verbiage as outlined in ARS 28-4406.

Can my sign be a banner?

No.  A banner is not considered permanent as outlined in ARS 28-4406.

Can I use a Clearance Card instead of submitting a fingerprint card?

No.  An applicant/owner, who owns 20% or more interest in the business, must go through a Criminal Records Check using pre-printed Dealer Licensing fingerprint cards.  New/franchise dealers are exempt from the Criminal Records Check.

Can an Arizona wholesale dealer sell vehicles to dealers in other countries?

Yes, but the dealer is responsible to ensure that the buyer is an actual licensed dealer in the country of license and must keep proper records as required by law.

Branch Application:

What are the requirements to have a Branch license?

A branch dealer license uses the same bond policy as the main license.  The location must be within the same county as the main license; the owners must be the same; the business name must be the same, although a DBA may be different; franchise products may be different, if applicable.

Can branch license records be maintained at a different location?

No, the records must be stored at the physical location where business is conducted.

Dealer Record Amendment:

How do I change my business name or location?

Submit form # 38-5118 Dealer Record Amendment, a bond rider showing the updated information and required fee.  No business may be conducted until you receive a revised license certificate by email.  NOTE: A new motor vehicle dealer also needs a letter of authorization acknowledging the new name/location from each manufacturer of their franchised products.

What if I am adding an individual to an existing dealer license?

Complete and submit form # 46-0106 Add or Delete an Individual on a License, a copy of amended corporate articles or corporate minutes noting the change.  If the individual is already on an existing dealer license, a Criminal Records Check is not required.  If the individual owns 20% or more interest in the business they are required to go through the Criminal Records Check, and submit form # 46-0407 Authorization to Release Information and Statement of Personal History, a fingerprint card and fee.

What if I am deleting an individual from an existing license?

Complete and submit form # 46-0106 Add or Delete an Individual on a License, copy of the corporate amendment or corporate minutes deleting the individual.

Dealer Plate Application:

When do I pay my dealer plate fees?

When you submit your dealer application, you may pre-order dealer plates by completing and submitting the Dealer Plate Application.  Do not send in the dealer plate fee with your application. The dealer plate fee will be included with the dealer license fee in an invoice that will be emailed to you after the application has been accepted and Criminal Records Check has been concluded.  NOTE:  Your dealer license and dealer plates, if applicable, are renewed annually. 

What processes does 48-5125 Dealer Plate Application cover?

Order new or additional dealer plates; if a dealer plate has been lost/stolen, request cancellation and replacement of the plate; order duplicate registration for a dealer plate; cancel a dealer plate.

Manufacturer/Distributor Application:

Can a manufacturer have two licenses at the same address?

Only a trailer manufacturer is allowed to be the manufacturer and their own franchised dealer.  They may be located at the same address; however, inventory and records must be kept separate.

How do I add a dealership in another county?

Complete and submit a motor vehicle dealer application with the appropriate fees and an original surety bond for the appropriate amount.  If the listed owners are currently on a dealer license, Criminal Records Check will not be required. If you are a NEW motor vehicle dealer, submit a letter of authorization from each manufacturer for each franchise product listed.

New Franchised Motor Vehicle Dealers:

What if I am adding a new product line?

Submit a copy of your Manufacturer Authorization letter that is on the Manufacturer’s letterhead that states your dealership name, physical address, effective date and authorized signature and a 10-mile radius check will be conducted prior to the product being added to your record.  NOTE: The manufacturer or the authorized distributor must be licensed in Arizona by Dealer Licensing before any new product may be sold by a dealer in this state.

What if I am deleting a new product line?

If the termination of the franchise is mutual between the manufacturer and the franchisee, submit a letter from the franchisee and the manufacturer to terminate that product line from a dealership. 

If the termination is not mutual, the manufacturer must submit a letter that addresses the request for termination to MVD and contain the following:

  1. A statement of the franchisor’s intention to terminate, cancel or not renew the franchise
  2. The reasons for the termination, cancellation or nonrenewal
  3. The date on which the termination, cancellation or nonrenewal is effective

Cancel My Dealership:

What if I have sold the dealership and have a buy-sell agreement?

Business may not be conducted until the new principal(s) are issued a dealer license.  A Motor Vehicle Dealer Application is required, a copy of the buy/sell agreement and letter(s) of termination from the manufacturer(s) as well as all requirements as outlined in the Dealer Licensing website.

How do I cancel my dealer license?

Submit a written notification, signed by an owner requesting cancellation of your dealer license.  Return the dealer license certificate and all dealer plates associated with the dealer license.  New Motor Vehicle Dealers are required to submit a franchise letter of termination from the manufacturer.
Out-of-State Dealers Needing Titling Services for Arizona Residents

For fastest service use an Arizona Authorized Third Party provider.
ADOT MVD Central Title Production
PO Box 2100, Mail Drop 555M
Phoenix, AZ 85001

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.