Pursuant to Laws 2015, Chapter 235 (HB 2135) effective July 3, 2015, a TNC must maintain minimum financial liability coverage as follows:
- During the time in which the TNC driver is available to provide passenger transportation, through an app or street hails, but has not accepted a ride request and is not in the act of providing passenger transportation, a motor vehicle liability insurance policy or amendment or endorsement to an existing motor vehicle liability policy specifically providing coverage in the amount of:
After the TNC driver has accepted a ride request through any communication and during the time in which the TNC driver is providing passenger transportation, the TNC driver or the TNC shall maintain the following insurance coverage:
- $25,000 because of bodily injury to or death of any one person in any one accident, subject to the limit for one person,
- $50,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and
- $20,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
- This policy may be maintained by either the driver or the company.
A TNC driver shall carry proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times while providing transportation services. If an accident occurs involving a taxi, livery vehicle or limousine, the TNC driver shall provide proof of insurance to the parties involved in the accident at the time of the accident. The TNC driver shall also notify the TNC of the accident. In a claims coverage investigation, a TNC and any insurer providing coverage as prescribed in this section shall fully cooperate in the exchange of information and shall disclose to each other a clear description of the coverage, exclusions and limits provided under any insurance policy that each party issued or maintained.
- A motor vehicle liability insurance policy or amendment or endorsement to an existing motor vehicle liability policy specifically providing insurance in a minimum amount of $250,000 per incident, and
- An amendment or endorsement for uninsured motorist coverage in a minimum amount of $250,000 per incident.
Select chart to view larger version.