Title and Registration FAQ

I am temporarily out of state and require a vehicle emissions test. What do I do?

Visit the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality website or call 602.771.3950 (Phoenix) or 520.628.5651 (Tucson).

Can I renew my registration even if I do not have a renewal notice?

Yes. It is not required that you have the renewal notice. Your current (or expired) registration document can be used.

If I move from Arizona and am no longer a resident, can I get a refund for the remaining months on my registration?

If you move from Arizona and register your vehicle somewhere else, you are not eligible for a refund. More information.

I'm in the Address Confidentiality Program. How can I renew my registration?

Please call 602.712.2700 to schedule an appointment with MVD. You will need to renew in person and can't renew online or on the phone at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

What are the ownership rights options (legal status) for a title?

When ownership of the vehicle is in more than one name, the "Or, And, And/Or" box on the title application determines which signatures will be required to sell the vehicle or for other actions.

"OR" Legal Status

This ownership is a joint tenancy, with an expressed intent that either of the owners has full authority to transfer ownership of the vehicle, license plates and/or fees, or to record loan information. The owners' names will appear on the title as in this example: JOHN DOE OR JOE ROSS.

To transfer ownership of the vehicle, license plates and/or fees, or to record loan information, the signature of either party will be accepted. Both signatures are not required. If this legal status is chosen, all owners involved must sign in the Legal Status section.

"AND" Legal Status

This ownership is a tenancy in common. The owners' names will appear on the title as in this example: JOHN DOE AND JOE ROSS.

To transfer ownership of the vehicle, license plates and/or fees, or to record loan information, the signatures of both parties will be required. In the event of the death of either party, the interest of the deceased party must be handled by probate action, or by completing a Non-probate Affidavit.

"AND/OR" Legal Status

This ownership is a joint tenancy with right of survivorship. The owners' names will appear on the title as in this example: JOHN DOE AND/OR JOE ROSS.

To transfer ownership of the vehicle, license plates and/or fees, or to record loan information, the signatures of both parties will be required, if both are living. Upon proof of death, the survivor may sign alone.

What additional requirements are needed for out-of-country vehicles?

Requirements vary depending on your specific circumstances. Contact us for details.

How do I apply for a duplicate title and what is the fee?

When an Arizona title is lost, mutilated or becomes illegible, you, the owner of record, may apply for a duplicate title. Owner name, legal status, lienholder and vehicle information must remain the same. Only the address and/or vehicle location address may be changed.

You must complete a Title and Registration Application, check the appropriate box at the top of the form. Only one owner's signature is required, regardless of the number of owners or legal status.

You may submit the application at any authorized third-party office or by mail to MD 555M, Motor Vehicle Division, P.O. Box 2100, Phoenix AZ 85001.

The fee is $4. Photo identification may be required for walk-in customers.

The mutilated or illegible title must be surrendered at the time of application, when available; it is not necessary for the owner to sign-off the back of the title.

When the record shows a lien, the duplicate title will be sent to the lienholder of record, unless you present a lien clearance or power of attorney from the first lienholder of record and there are no other liens present on the vehicle record.

How do I get a replacement license plate and what is the fee?

This may be completed at an MVD or Authorized Third Party office. One form of identification is required, and you must have the license plate and/or vehicle identification number. A $5 fee will be charged (plus postage and handling if applicable). To transact by mail, send the plate application, with a check or money order for $5, plus postage and handling listed on the form, and the replacement will be sent by mail.

How can I get a replacement (duplicate) registration/tab?

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle registration online or at any MVD or authorized third-party office. When you apply online, you can print the registration from your home printer.

You may apply for a tab replacement online or at any MVD or authorized third-party office. When you apply online, you will be mailed a replacement registration with a tab attached.

If you visit an office, a photo identification may be requested. If your registration has been lost or stolen and you have reason to believe someone else is using it, the incident should be reported to your local police department.

My vehicle was involved in an accident and I no longer have it. What do I do?

If you do not have the license plate, submit a Plate Refund request online. As the seller, you must sign off the back of the title and have your signature notarized. Give the title to your insurance company so they can apply for a salvage title; or if you have sold it to a salvage yard, you must apply for the salvage title and give it to the salvage yard. Complete a Sold Notice online or on the back of the vehicle registration and mail it to the address indicated.

My vehicle has not been used, and the registration has expired. How do I re-register?

If last registered within five years, provide the license plate and/or vehicle identification number and pay applicable fees. In most cases, a Registration Penalty Fee Waiver Request can be completed to waive the penalties if the vehicle has not been operated on any public roadway in Arizona. If your vehicle has not been registered within the last five years, additional procedures may be required. Contact us to discuss any additional requirements.

How do I obtain a trip permit?

If you bought the vehicle from a licensed dealer, the dealer will give you a Temporary Registration Plate that allows you to operate the vehicle for any purpose. If you purchased the vehicle from a private sale, you may obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit which is valid only for the purposes of vehicle inspection, emission testing, repairs needed to comply with inspection or emission rules, or to otherwise complete the registration process. The Restricted Use 3-Day Permit can be obtained online at EZ Permit or at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. To operate the vehicle for any other purpose, you must first complete the registration process. No more than three Restricted Use 3-Day Permits can be issued to any vehicle in a 12 month period.

How do I apply for a bonded title?

First visit any MVD or Authorized Third Party office to obtain a vehicle inspection. The additional steps needed to then complete the process vary with each situation. At the time of the inspection, we will provide you with a list of the specific actions and documentation required.

How do I add/delete a name on my title?

Use the same procedure as a title transfer. Pay a $4 title fee and an $8 registration fee, if the vehicle is currently registered. If there is a lien on the vehicle that has not been paid off, written permission from the lienholder/lender will be required to add or delete a name.

How do I add/delete a name on my registration?

To add or delete a name on your registration you must change your title. See the question above.

How do I add/delete a lien on my title?

Complete a title application (including the lien information), submit with the most current title, pay a $4 title fee and obtain a lien release from the lienholder/lender (if applicable) with

  • a complete description of the vehicle (year, make, and vehicle identification number).
  • the date the lien was paid in full.
  • a notation or stamp that indicates the lien is paid.
  • the full signature of the lienholder or the lienholder agent.

Why did I receive a registration cancellation notice?

This could be the result of money due to MVD, no insurance on file, or other issues. It is important that you verify that the vehicle identification number (VIN) on your vehicle matches the VIN identified on your registration and insurance documents. If the VIN on your insurance document does not match, ask your insurance company to resubmit the information using the correct VIN. You may use the online Insurance Verification to electronically check whether MVD has received notification of your most recent active insurance policy number. Contact us for more information specific to your record.

What is a 30-Day General Use permit?

A 30-Day General Use Registration is issued when you do not qualify for a permanent registration or other types of temporary permits. Only one 30-Day permit is allowed per vehicle within any 12-month period. The permit is available online or may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $15.

What is a 90-Day resident registration?

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90-day registration. This registration allows operation of the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. It may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party provider. The fee is $15. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90-day registration.

I am not an Arizona resident, but I bought a car from an Arizona dealer. Is there a permit I can purchase to drive this unregistered vehicle to my home state?

You can purchase a 90-Day Nonresident Registration for $15 from the MVD or Authorized Third Party office. You will be required to show your out-of-state identification and the dealer invoice or assigned title.

If I give you a plate number, can you tell me who owns the vehicle?

Only if you meet the privacy requirements in federal and state law for obtaining a Motor Vehicle Record. See the next question.

How can I get a Motor Vehicle (Driver or Vehicle) Record?

A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) is the computer printout of a driving or vehicle record. The manner in which driver license or motor vehicle record information may be released is regulated by the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act (or DPPA), 18 USC 2721-2725 and Title 28, Chapter 2, Article 5 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.

The DPPA requires you to have a "permissible use" for requesting and receiving an MVD record which contains personal identifying information (e.g., a person's driver license photograph/image, social security number, driver license number, name, address and medical/disability information). The Motor Vehicle Record Request form lists those permissible uses.

If eligible, you can obtain and print a copy of a record online. You may also obtain a copy by completing a Motor Vehicle Record Request form and submitting $3 for an uncertified record (three-year for driving record) or $5 for a certified record (five-year for driving record) by mail or at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. Your signature on the form must be notarized, or witnessed by an MVD agent.

How do I register my boat?

Watercraft registration is the responsibility of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Please check their website for forms and information on watercraft registration; boating rules and regulations, boating education and more.

How do I report an Arizona resident for failing to comply with Arizona registration laws?

Report an Arizona resident for not being in compliance with Arizona registration laws by any of the following methods. Please provide: plate number, state, make, model, address where vehicle was seen and name of owner (if known). Your information will remain anonymous.

You can report a violator online, by phone at 800.657.4322, by fax at 480.632.1845 or by mail at this address:

MD 806Z
Enforcement Services
Arizona Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 2100
Phoenix, AZ 85001

How do I renew a disability placard?

Effective October 28, 2018, the permanent disability placard no longer has an expiration date and re-certification is not required to issue a replacement.  The placard will be valid as long as the recipient qualifies. Temporary disability placards are valid for six months at which time a new certification must be completed by an authorized physician.  

If you require a permanent disability placard replacement, you may apply online. There is no fee to replace a disability placard. See our Plates and Placards section for more information.

Do I need to let you know when I move and register my vehicle in another state?

You are not required to notify us. The other state should automatically send us notification. Until that is completed, you may receive notices from us regarding registration renewal and insurance verification.

Where can I obtain information about off-highway vehicle laws and regulations?

The Arizona Game and Fish Department provides this information.

What equipment (lights, mirrors, etc) is required on my vehicle to drive it on the streets and highways?

Arizona law in Title 28, Article 16 provides this information. If you have specific questions, contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

What is the difference between a moped and a motor-driven cycle and what are the licensing requirements?

A moped is a bicycle or human-powered vehicle (with pedals) with a 50 cc or less helper motor, a 1.5 hp or less braking power and a rated maximum top speed of 25 mph (on a flat surface with less than a one per cent grade). Any class of driver license can be used to operate a moped. A moped must be registered, but a vehicle title is not issued. Emissions testing is not required. Vehicle liability insurance is required.

A motor-driven cycle is a motorcycle is originally manufactured to exceed 20 mph, is rated at 5 hp or less and has no more than three wheels in contact with the ground. This definition includes motor scooters rated at 5 hp or less. A motorcycle license or endorsement is needed to operate any motor-driven cycle. A motor-driven cycle must be both titled and registered. Emissions testing is not required. Vehicle liability insurance is required.

For purposes of this response, the term 5 hp generally refers to a motor with 49 cc to 80 cc displacement.

Where can I schedule an inspection on a vehicle abandoned on my personal property?

Any law enforcement officer or authorized third-party provider can provide an inspection on a vehicle abandoned on private property.

Can I still use a license plate frame?

Yes, but effective January 1, 2009, state law requires that "ARIZONA" (or "AZ" in the case of a small-size plate) at the top of Arizona license plates not be covered or otherwise obscured. Any license plate frame, holder or cover that prevents the license plate from being clearly legible, is in violation of the law.

Can you tell me what I paid in vehicle registration fee and taxes for last year?

You can see how much you paid in vehicle registration fees for last year, including your vehicle license tax, by using the Vehicle Fee Recap online service. You can view your record and print it. This is a free service. Note: This recap is provided for information only. If you are using it for tax purposes, consult your tax adviser.

How do I access a record in the name of a trust or company?

If the vehicle is registered only in the name of a trust, company or other organization, you will need the federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) or the MVD system-generated number assigned to that organization, in order to perform any online transaction (e.g., plate refund, duplicate registration). If you are personally listed on the registration, in addition to the organization, then you may be able to also use your driver license / ID card number.


Public Safety Fee (PSF)

What is the Public Safety Fee (PSF)?

The PSF is an annual fee required to be collected by the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) pursuant to state law [Laws 2018, Chapter 265, Section 1 (HB 2166)]. See Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) 28-2007. To review a copy of this new state law use the following link: https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/53leg/2R/laws/0265.pdf. PSF revenues are deposited in the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Highway Patrol Fund to help cover the costs of the DPS Highway Patrol operations.

How much is the PSF?

The PSF is $32.00 for each initial registration and registration renewal. If the vehicle owner chooses and the vehicle is eligible for a multi-year registration, the fee will be collected for each registration year as follows.

  • 1 year registration will pay $32.00
  • 2 year registration will pay $64.00
  • 5 year registration will pay $160.00

Vehicles eligible for a reduced $5 fee are registered golf carts and off-highway vehicles registered as Primarily Off-Highway. Unregistered Golf Carts, OHV’s certified as Exclusively Off-Highway, Mobile Homes and Title-only transactions will not pay the PSF.

The PSF is to be collected upon the initial registration of a permanently registered trailer and for each transfer of ownership.

Are there any vehicles that are assessed a zero fee?

A qualifying owner or vehicle with one of the following will be assessed a zero fee:

  • Government Vehicles
  • Special Military
  • 100% Disabled Veterans
  • Non-profit
  • Non-profit school
  • Religious Institution
  • A U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs grant recipient who qualifies for an exemption from the vehicle license tax pursuant to A.R.S. § 28-5802

An owner with one of the following will be assessed a zero fee. The extent of the assessed amount is ½ or partial, depending on the number of owners. Those who qualify are listed as follows:

  • Survivor of Fallen Military Member
  • Non-Resident Military Member
  • Public Health Services Officer
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • A widow or widower who qualifies for an exemption of taxation of property pursuant to A.R.S. 42-11111
  • Survivor of Fallen Responder

How was the $32 fee determined?

State law, A.R.S. § 28-2007 contains a statutory formula that the ADOT Director must follow when establishing the PSF. The formula is the DPS Highway Patrol total budget as approved by the Arizona Legislature plus 10%, divided by the total number of vehicles that are subject to the fee.

When does the PSF go into effect?

Laws 2018, Chapter 265 (HB 2166) had a general effective date of August 3, 2018. A significant amount of computer programming was needed to fully implement the PSF so the effective date of December 1, 2018 was established by ADOT to ensure sufficient monies were collected to fund DPS Highway Patrol for the remainder of the state budget fiscal year 2019, which runs from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.

Provisions of Laws 2018, Chapter 265 (HB 2166) related to VLT changes impacting alternatively fueled vehicles have a delayed effective date of from and after December 31, 2019.

What does the PSF fund?

State law, A.R.S. 28-2007 requires ADOT to deposit 100% of the PSF collections into the Arizona Highway Patrol Fund. ADOT does not receive any monies from the PSF. Monies in this fund are subject to annual review through the legislative appropriation process. DPS manages the Arizona Highway Patrol Fund.

Is the PSF transferrable?

When completing a transfer of ownership and registering the vehicle, the PSF shall be paid by the purchaser, even if the fee has been paid by the prior owner for the current year’s registration.

Are commercial motor vehicles registered through the International Registration Plan (IRP) subject to the PSF?

Yes, beginning January 1, 2019, all IRP motor vehicles will pay a portion of the $32 fee based on the percentage of miles traveled in Arizona compared to total miles traveled in other states.

What does it mean that the PSF is not refundable or transferable?

Once the PSF is paid, the customer cannot be refunded if they sell or transfer their vehicle. Not transferable means that the fee cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another or from one owner to another. The PSF is not included in any plate fee credit or refund.