Central District Projects
Interstate 10: Perryville Road to Bullard Avenue Freeway Management System Improvement Project
The Arizona Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration have initiated a project to upgrade the Freeway Management System (FMS) on 5 miles of Interstate 10 in the western Phoenix Metropolitan area. The purpose of the project is to improve traffic flow and safety on this busy stretch of I-10 near the cities of Goodyear and Avondale. Work is occurring between Perryville Road and Bullard Avenue and includes installation of the following:
- closed circuit television cameras, which allow the Traffic Operations Center to monitor highway conditions statewide 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- four overhead dynamic message signs that provide travel times, alerts about highway closures or other incidents, safety messages and other important information for drivers
- detector stations, which detect vehicle movement and enable ADOT to determine traffic counts, traffic density and vehicle speeds and
- conduit, fiber optic cables and other equipment.
Work on this $4 million project began in January 2018 and is scheduled for completion in late 2019.
What to expect:
- Work is occurring daily, however restrictions and closures that impact travel are scheduled to occur during overnight hours Fridays-Sundays.
- No work is scheduled to occur on holidays.
- Drivers should expect lane and ramp restrictions or closures and plan for possible delays.
- Drivers should slow down and use caution around construction personnel and equipment.
- Schedules are subject to change because of weather or other unforeseen conditions. Subscribe to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email.