Northcentral District Projects
Interstate 40: Bellemont Bridges
The Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration are replacing the bridges on Interstate 40 at Exit 185 near the community of Bellemont, approximately 13 miles west of Flagstaff in Coconino County. Crews will remove and replace the upper portion of the existing bridges, widen the on-ramps at this location and repair the pavement on Transwestern Road at the ramp intersections.
The project is scheduled to begin July 8 with completion scheduled for fall 2019.
What to Expect
- Lane restrictions and reduced speeds in both directions of I-40 during overnight hours begin early July and continue throughout construction.
- Overnight on- and off-ramp closures at Bellemont (Exit 185) in late July
- Full closure of Transwestern Road at Bellemont (Exit 185) during overnight hours in late July
- I-40 traffic will be re-routed up and over the Bellemont ramps from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., for two nights, one direction per night. A FULL closure of Transwestern Road at Bellemont will be in place during these hours.
The following restrictions will be required this fall:
- An eight-day FULL closure of Transwestern Road at Bellemont (Exit 185) will be required in early fall. During this around-the-clock closure:
- Both directions of I-40 will be re-routed onto the ramps alongside I-40 through the construction zone during the following times:
- Around-the-clock on weekends beginning 6 p.m. Fridays through 6 a.m. Mondays
- Weekdays from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Bellemont traffic accessing I-40 ramps across the Transwestern Road closure will be detoured to the next exit to re-enter the interstate.
- Lane restrictions in both directions of I-40
- On- and off-ramp closures at Bellemont (Exit 185)
ADOT will provide advance notice of restrictions and closures.
TRAVEL ALERT: Northern Arizona drivers should plan for delays during overnight closures of Interstate 40 scheduled Aug. 20 and 22
Motorists will be detoured onto the ramps alongside the freeway
The Arizona Department of Transportation urges northern Arizona drivers on Interstate 40 west of Flagstaff to prepare for delays while crews begin work to replace the bridges at Exit 185 near the community of Bellemont.
The work will require the following overnight restrictions next week:
- Eastbound I-40 will close at Bellemont (Exit 185) from 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, to 6 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 21.
- Westbound I-40 will close at Bellemont (Exit 185) from 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22 to 6 a.m. Friday, Aug. 23
- During these interstate closures, Transwestern Road passing over I-40 will also be closed.
DETOUR: I-40 traffic will be re-routed onto the ramps alongside I-40 through the construction zone.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. Subscribe to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email. For more information, please call the ADOT Bilingual Project Information Line at 855.712.8530 or submit a question or comment by email. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT's Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except while driving.