Northcentral District Projects
State Route 89A: Vista Point Overlook to JW Powell Boulevard Project
The Central Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highway Administration, in cooperation with the Arizona Department of Transportation and United States Forest Service, is widening and rehabilitating approximately 8.4 miles of SR 89A, beginning at the Vista Point Overlook and continuing north to the JW Powell Boulevard intersection. The purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic operations along SR 89A.
The project includes these improvements:
- increasing the width of the shoulders so that vehicles can pull over safely
- adding passing lanes in select areas to help alleviate traffic queues entering and exiting the canyon and to improve traffic flow, allowing vehicles to pass safely
- improving the clear zone, the unobstructed, relatively flat area beyond the edge of the highway that allows a driver to stop safely or regain control of a vehicle that leaves the highway by flattening side slopes
What to Expect
Final paving operation are scheduled, to apply the top lift of asphalt to the completed project. The paving operation will occur Friday, May 18 and Monday through Thursday, May 21-24, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The schedule and times of day are due to temperature requirements, asphalt plant availability, and trucking of material (which depends on traffic).
- Traffic will be maintained during the operation—one lane in each direction. Flaggers will assist traffic flow and access to side roads.
- Please drive with care through the construction zone. High speeds of travel can impact the team's ability to work safely and efficiently.
- The road will be open for the Memorial Day weekend starting at noon on Friday, May 25, with construction activities resuming Tuesday, May 29.
Please check AZ 511 for the latest information on traffic restrictions during construction.
For More Information
Call the Project Hotline: 602.235.2898
or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.