The Interstate 10/Ruthrauff Road traffic interchange will be reconstructed to improve traffic operations on both roadways.
Key elements of the project:
- Lower I-10 to go beneath Ruthrauff Road
- Raise Ruthrauff Road to go over Davis Avenue/Highway Drive, the Union Pacific Railroad and I-10
- Widen I-10 to four lanes in each direction
- Widen Ruthrauff Road to two lanes in each direction
- Reconstruct the I-10 frontage roads to connect to the elevated Ruthrauff Road
Work is tentatively scheduled to begin in the late spring/summer of 2019. Ruthrauff Road will close to all traffic at I-10 for about 24 months.
Business access will be maintained throughout the project.
The project is designed to improve safety on both Ruthrauff Road and I-10.
Currently, passing trains stop all traffic on Ruthrauff Road, which causes backups onto I-10. In the new configuration, traffic on Ruthrauff Road will pass over the railroad and I-10, eliminating the at-grade railroad crossing.
In addition, the interchange reconstruction is part of a series of projects to increase capacity on I-10 between Ruthrauff and Ina roads.
2013 – Final design begins
2019 – Final design completed
2019 to 2021 - Construction
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. Subscribe to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email.
Need more information?
For more information about this project, please call the ADOT Project Information Line at 855.712.8530 or email Projects@azdot.gov with questions or comments.