Replace or Renew Your CDL

Replace or Renew Your CDL

Replace Your CDL

You may obtain a replacement license for $12 under these conditions:

  • Your Arizona commercial driver license or identification card is lost or stolen or becomes unreadable. (If your license has been lost or stolen and you have reason to believe someone else is using it, the incident should be reported to your local police department as a possible identity theft.)
  • Your address or name changes.
  • You wish to update your photo.
  • You wish to remove your Social Security number from your license.
  • You wish to convert an under-21 license to a regular driver license.

You must provide two acceptable forms of identification. If your name has changed, you will need to follow the procedures under the Changing Your Address or Name section.

In most cases, a replacement license may be obtained online at or by phone using a major credit card.

Renew Your CDL

Effective September 29th, 2021 - Arizona issues a eight-year commercial driver license. Drivers are responsible for renewing their CDL before the expiration date. 

If your license is due for renewal, you can renew online in most cases. Sign in to your account at and access “Renew Now” in the My Credential box and follow the instructions. If you need to, first activate your account -- everyone with an Arizona driver license already has an account ready to be activated. 

If an office visit is required, you can schedule an appointment at

If renewing in person, bring the following documents to any MVD office:

  • Your Arizona CDL
  • A properly completed Medical Examiner Certificate
  • Arizona law and FMCSA regulation 49 CFR 383.71 require that you submit proof that your presence in the United States is authorized under federal law. See CDL Documentation Requirements for a listing of acceptable proof of authorized presence.
    • You need at least two documents listed – one must have a clear photo of you
    • Or three documents listed with no photo
    • One must be listed under the Primary column
    • All must be originals or copies, in English, certified by the issuing agency
    • Additional documents needed for a name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree). You must first change your name with the Social Security Administration.
    • CDL documentation requirements may change without notice.

These are the fees for renewing a CDL:

  • Class A or B: $15
  • Class C: $10
  • HME: $10 (knowledge test required)

Renew Your HME, BRC or Both

For most CDL holders, the CDL expiration date is separate from the TSA BRC expiration date. Therefore, you will be required to follow two separate procedures, one to renew the CDL credential with the hazardous materials endorsement (HME) and the other to renew the BRC. To do so, you must:

  • apply to renew your CDL with an HME at an MVD office (you will be required to take the HME knowledge test at this time).
  • pass the HME knowledge tests. You are given three attempts to pass this test. You can use no more than one attempt per day.
  • apply to the TSA at least 60 days prior to the expiration of your current BRC on file with ADOT. Provide all the information requested on the Driver License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application to be submitted:
    • online through the TSA.
    • by phone (toll free) through the TSA HazMat Call Center at 877.429.7746.

TSA will not accept handwritten HME applications. Upon TSA approval notification, MVD will validate the HME, and no return visit is required. Return to MVD only if the TSA approval letter is not received within 90 days. The BRC is valid for five years from the date of completion.

Match Expiration Dates: If you would like to arrange it so that the HME and BRC expire on the same date, follow these steps:

  1. Complete a BRC at least 60 days before your CDL expires.
  2. Apply to renew your CDL with HME at an MVD office (you will be required to take the HME knowledge test at that time).
  3. Once you receive your TSA approval, return to MVD and obtain the renewed CDL credential.

Note: If you complete your TSA and HME knowledge test at least 60 days prior to the CDL expiration date, it will make it easier for you to renew in the future by matching up both (HME and BRC) expiration dates. If you do not wish to do this, you can continue to follow the first instructions above and renew each separately.

Remember, to issue a renewed CDL with the HME, you must have current TSA approval on file at the time of issuance.

You should receive an HME/BRC renewal notice 60 days prior to its expiration date. However, if you do not receive a notice, you are still responsible for renewing prior to the expiration date. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of your driving privileges