Transfer Your CDL

Transfer Your CDL

You have 30 days to change your CDL if you have changed your state of domicile to Arizona. Federal and state laws require that you surrender all previous license credentials.

You must visit a CDL office (some CDL offices require you to call and schedule an appointment) and have the following documents before you pay any fees:

  • Properly completed Medical Examiner Certificate or ADOT card (available at any CDL office)
  • Social Security card
  • Valid CDL credential
  • Arizona law and FMCSA regulation 49 CFR 383.71 require that you submit proof that your presence in the United States is authorized under federal law. See CDL Documentation Requirements for a listing of acceptable proof of authorized presence.
    • You need at least two documents listed – one must have a clear photo of you
    • Or three documents listed with no photo
    • One must be listed under the Primary column
    • All must be originals or copies, in English, certified by the issuing agency
    • Additional documents needed for a name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree). You must first change your name with the Social Security Administration.
    • CDL documentation requirements may change without notice.

These are the fees for transferring a CDL:

  • Class A or B, no endorsements: $25
  • Class A or B, no endorsements: $25
  • Class C: $12.50 (must have a Passenger or Hazmat endorsement)
  • Doubles/triples trailers endorsement: $10
  • Tank endorsement: $10
  • Hazardous materials endorsement (HME): $10 (A new knowledge test is required.)
  • Motorcycle endorsement: $ 7
  • School bus endorsement: No fee
  • Passenger endorsement: $10

Drivers with the HME (H or X) must have a current and approved Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background record check (BRC) at the time of the application. If you do not have one, follow the instructions under the Applying for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) section below.