Alert icon

Aircraft Registration Changes Are Coming

Learn more

Attention Aircraft Owners: 

As a result of legislation approved this year, there will be changes to the aircraft registration system in the coming months. 

Effective before the 2023 registration cycle: 

  • Balloon owners will no longer be required to pay registration fees.
  • Decals will no longer be required on aircraft.
  • A change in the assessment formula may result in registration credits for some aircraft to be applied to the 2023 registration cycle.

Effective during the 2023 registration cycle: 

  • There will be upgrades to the AZ MVD Now portal to include aircraft and make it easier to manage aircraft licensing for both aircraft owners and the State of Arizona. 
  • Staggered registration: Instead of all registrations due in February, deadlines will be spread throughout the year. Details are to be determined.
    • Note: Owners of two or more aircraft can establish a fleet and pay all their registrations at the same time. 

What you can do to prepare for these changes: 

We will be updating you as things change. 

Show less

Nonresident Registration

Nonresident Registration

Nonresident owners whose aircraft are based in the state for more than 90 days in the calendar year must register the aircraft with the Motor Vehicle Division Aircraft Registration Unit. The 90 days is total time in the state and need not be consecutive. Nonresident aircraft based in the state for more than 90 days but fewer than 210 days are taxed at a reduced rate (see Aircraft Value and Tax Determination). Aircraft engaging in commercial activity in the state, regardless of owner residency, must be registered prior to such operations.

Determining Residency Status

State law requires that you obtain an Arizona aircraft registration within 60 days of aircraft entry if any of these qualities applies to a person who

  • works in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).
  • is registered to vote in Arizona.
  • has placed children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.
  • has a business that has an Arizona office that bases and operates vehicles in this state.
  • has obtained a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
  • has a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
  • has remained in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Out-of-state students enrolled with seven or more semester hours are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Active-duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.