Vehicle Permits

Vehicle Permits

3-Day Trip Permit

A Restricted Use 3-Day Permit allows a person to legally operate an unregistered vehicle on Arizona roadways from the vehicle's present location to the following destinations: 

  • Emissions testing
  • Vehicle inspection
  • Application for title or registration
  • Vehicle repair to comply with emissions or inspection

You may obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit at or any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $1. Note: Vehicles that have never been titled or registered in Arizona may not be able to purchase a 3-Day Trip permit online.

30-Day General Use Permit

A 30-Day General Use Permit allows an unregistered vehicle to operate on the roadway for a 30 day period, and can be issued only once in a 12 month period. It has no movement restrictions or residency requirements. The permit is available or may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $15.

90-Day Non-Resident (Drive Out) Permit

A 90-Day Nonresident (Drive Out) Permit allows a person to drive their newly purchased vehicle out of Arizona for registration in another state. You will be required to show your out-of-state identification and the dealer invoice or assigned title. The fee is $15 and the permit can be purchased from any MVD or Authorized Third Party office.

90-Day Resident Permit

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90-Day Permit. This registration allows you to operate the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90-Day Permit. It may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $15.

Temporary Registration Plate (TRP)

A licensed dealer will issue a TRP when a vehicle is purchased. It will allow the vehicle to be operated for any purpose. The TRP is valid for 45 days.