Title and Registration Topics

Title and Registration Topics

The following are general requirements to obtain an Arizona title, registration and license plate:

Electronic Titles (No more paper)

Electronic Titles Are Here—Safe, Secure, Convenient:
No more paper

When you title or register a vehicle in Arizona, your title information is stored electronically and you no longer automatically receive a paper title. You can view your title information in your AZ MVD Now account. Similarly, when you pay off a vehicle loan, the title will be held electronically. 

If a paper title is needed, for reasons such as moving out of state, you can use the Title Replacement service on AZ MVD Now. The fee is $4.


Odometer disclosure at the time of transfer:

  • Vehicles model year 2011 and newer—odometer disclosure is required for 20 years.
  • Vehicles model year 2010 and older—exempt from odometer disclosure.

Emissions Test

Before you register, your vehicle may need an emissions test. For convenience and ease of future renewals, customers should perform required emissions testing at the time of registration so the cycles for each are similar. The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality is responsible for the emission testing program and laws. For more information contact the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality at 877.692.9227 (877.MYAZCAR) or myazcar.com.

Vehicle Insurance

Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on roads in the state be covered by liability insurance through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.

Minimum levels of financial responsibility are:

  • $25,000 bodily injury liability for one person and $50,000 for two or more persons
  • $15,000 property damage liability

Insurance companies notify MVD of all new policies, policy cancellations and non-renewals. If your insurance company sends a notice that your policy is no longer active, MVD will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status. You may update and manage your insurance on AZ MVD Now. Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. 

For additional information, see our Insurance Information page.

Proof of Ownership

A signed vehicle title is needed.  If you are moving from out-of-state, your out-of-state title and registration must be surrendered at the time of application for Arizona title and registration. When a loan has been recorded against the vehicle and the title is being held by a lender in another state, the registration is needed, although the title may not be required.

Loan Information

A lien release is needed before the vehicle title can be transferred to another person. If there is a lien on the vehicle that has not been paid off, written permission from the lienholder/lender will be required to add or delete a name.

If moving from out-of-state, all liens on your existing title will be recorded on the new Arizona title unless you provide an original lien clearance from the lender (or a letter on the lender’s letterhead) that contains the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and body style of the vehicle, the original loan amount, the date of the contract, and the lender’s complete name and mailing address.  When a loan has been recorded against the vehicle and the title is being held by a lender in another state, a registration only may be issued.


All applicants listed on the application for Arizona title must sign the application. An original, notarized power of attorney is acceptable to allow an appointed person to sign on behalf of one or more of the owners.  Other documentation authorizing an individual to sign on behalf of another may also be needed.

Ninety Day Registration

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90-day registration. This registration allows you to operate the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. It may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party provider. The fee is $15. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90-day registration.

Plates/Special Plates

When transfering a title and registration, the seller should keep the plates that are on the vehicle. Special plates are available for most vehicles.


All applicable title and registration fees will be needed at the time of title and registration. After submitting a sold notice, a seller may request a registration refund on AZ MVD Now.