FAQ - Taxi, Livery and Limousines

Do I need to register my Company for a Vehicle for Hire Permit?

§28-9503 Vehicle for Hire company permits; fees; violation; classification

Taxi, Livery, Limousine and Transportation network companies (i.e. Uber or Lyft) must obtain a Vehicle for Hire permit; individual drivers for those companies do not need a permit..

How do I apply for a Vehicle for Hire Company Permit?

§28-9503 Vehicle for Hire company permits; fees; violation; classification

The Vehicle for Hire Company may apply to the department on forms prescribed by the department. The permit is valid for three years.

  • Information for the Vehicle for Hire application process and steps on how to apply are found on the Vehicle for Hire Licensing webpage under the Process and License Requirements tab. 

Can you print my permit for me?

No, ServiceArizona.com is a secure site. We do not have access to your account and are not able to print permits for your business. 

Do I need to get a Vehicle for Hire Permit for my golf cart?

Every city has their own requirements. Please check with your local city authorities for more information. 

More information on golf carts and pedicabs

Where do I send my insurance documents, drug testing records, and other required documents?

Please submit insurance to Mandatory Insurance at Mail Drop 526M P.O. BOX 2100 Phoenix, AZ 85001. You should keep all other records for all the vehicles in your fleet, but they are not required to be sent to our department unless requested. 

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Fees are only applied to Taxi vehicles.

  1. A vehicle for hire company may not operate in this state unless the vehicle for hire company is issued a permit by the department. The vehicle for hire company may apply to the department on forms prescribed by the department. The permit is valid for three years. The department shall charge and collect an application fee of twenty-four dollars per vehicle that is used as a taxi by the vehicle for hire company at the time of application, not to exceed a total of one thousand dollars per applicant. ARS §28-9503 (A)

What are taxi, livery, limousine, and transportation network company?

Definitions can be found on the Definitions page. 

Where do I bring my vehicle for an inspection?

Inspections are based off of complaints and done on a random basis by the Compliance Department. We do not require an inspection upon receipt of application.

Where do I get my meter calibrated?

There is a list of Registered Service Agents available under the Helpful Links tab. 

How do I get the decal?

Decals are no longer being issued. Please refer to the Recent licensing changes tab. 

What endorsements do I need to drive as a vehicle for hire?

There are no endorsements regulated by Vehicle for Hire. 

I want to drive for a rideshare company; how do I get a permit?

We do not regulate rideshare drivers. Please contact your company directly.

You may, however, need to submit a "For Hire Certificate" - Form 96-0148 at a MVD office / 3rd Party MVD office and pay the associated fee.

See the Defenitions tab.

How do I make changes to my account? How do I do a Change of Ownership?

All companies have the independence to make changes to their own account. If you would like to update your account information, you can always log into your ServiceArizona account to do so; but if you are not able to access your account and would like the department to make those changes, you will need to submit a VFH Change Request Form.

If you need to change the ownership of your company and have gone through the legal process of changing your company name and vehicles over to another party, you will need to fill out the VFH Change Request Form.

Please be reminded: Arizona Administrative Codes R17-5-1004 requires Vehicle for Hire companies to notify the department within 10 business days of changes made to the account and within 30 days for a Change of Ownership. Arizona Administrative Codes R17-5-906 asks that Transportation Network Companies notify the Department within 10 business days of any changes made to the name or contact information, as well