International Fuel Tax Agreement

Yes. If you qualify for an IFTA license but do not choose to obtain one, you must obtain a fuel tax permit from each member jurisdiction (state) in which you travel.

IFTA credentials are valid for travel in all 48 contiguous states, the District of Columbia and participating Canadian provinces.

IFTA covers fuel taxes only, so the fuel taxes need to be reported. For fuels, under IFTA, you must generally report information on all fuels used to power a qualified vehicle.

A $10 initial filing fee is required when you first apply for your IFTA license. A $10 renewal filing fee is required yearly, for the renewal of your IFTA license.

You will receive one Arizona IFTA license and a set of two decals for each qualified motor vehicle. The license and decals are valid for the calendar year.

You must purchase fuel tax permits to travel in any IFTA jurisdictions and to return to Arizona. You can purchase an Arizona fuel tax permit at an Arizona Port of Entry or at MVD Commercial Permits.

Yes. If you travel in an IFTA jurisdiction without valid IFTA credentials or a fuel tax permit, you will be subject to a penalty, fine or citation, depending on the individual state's laws. If you enter Arizona without a valid Arizona fuel tax permit or IFTA credentials, you are in violation of a class 2 misdemeanor.

International Registration Plan

These changes can be accomplished by completing and submitting an Apportioned Registration Application.

To increase the registered gross vehicle weight (GVW) during the registration year, complete and submit an Apportioned Registration Application.

A decrease in the GVW can only be done at time of renewal, using the same form, or by indicating the decrease on the IRP Registration Renewal form.

No. Trailers and semitrailers do not require apportioned registration. However, trailers and semitrailers do require current registration from any state, to operate on Arizona highways. If you choose to register in Arizona, visit any MVD office or authorized third-party office to register your trailer permanently.

Applicants with a prior account in Arizona or any other Jurisdiction, may need to provide any actual distance if the Fleet being registered was operated during the Reporting Period.

If the Fleet did not accrue any distance during the Reporting Period, the applicant shall use the average per-vehicle distance.

First time applicants with no history of having an account in Arizona or any Jurisdiction, shall use the average per-Vehicle distance.

You will only report actual mileage for the Jurisdictions that you accrued miles for during the requested reporting period.

No, your fees will be calculated by the actual miles you report upon renewal.

The Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP) grants full reciprocity to all IRP member jurisdictions, removing from the Plan any provisions related to estimated distance. For more information visit, the IRP website.

No. Arizona apportioned registered vehicles are exempt from Arizona emission testing requirements.

  • Each year you will receive a renewal notice with a list of all vehicles that are currently registered in your apportioned fleet. Review the IRP Renewal Guidelines and make any needed corrections or updates to the IRP Renewal Invitation (delete vehicles).
  • Then, mail the renewal information to Motor Carrier Services or visit an authorized third-party provider. They will process your changes and send you an invoice.

  • Options available for payment are as follows:
  • Mail: check or money order
  • Call: with credit card number
  • In person:
    • Motor Carrier Licensing Unit located at 1801 W. Jefferson St., Phoenix, AZ 85007
    • Motor Carrier Licensing Unit located at 621 E. 22nd St., Tucson, AZ 85719
    • Authorized third-party provider

Yes, there is a $5 fee charged for replacement of an apportioned plate or cab card (plus a postage fee).

All vehicles must have valid registration to operate on the highways of the Arizona. If you are eligible for IRP registration, but do not wish to obtain this type of interstate registration, you have the option of applying for full Arizona base plate registration and then stopping at each state's port of entry to purchase single trip permits as you travel through various states.

The Arizona fees include registration fee, vehicle license tax, commercial registration fee, weight fee, motor carrier fee, use fee and air quality diesel fee. In addition to these fees, you also pay the applicable registration fees due for each member jurisdiction in which you choose to travel.

If travel outside of Arizona prior to your IRP registration application being completed, you must purchase single trip permits for the states you wish to enter.

If you are not currently registered in Arizona, you can purchase single trip permits, which allow you to travel lawfully through Arizona. These permits are available at Arizona ports of entry or MVD Commercial Permits.

Keep in mind that you will be required to contact each state's permitting office or a permitting service agency to secure permits from each state you will enter.

Yes. If you travel in a jurisdiction without valid registration credentials or a single trip permit, you will be subject to a penalty, fines and citations, depending on each state's laws.