Engineering and Construction

Utility and Railroad Engineering


The Railroad Team is responsible for three primary functions:

  • Working with railroad companies when an ADOT-managed project involves a railroad
  • Managing the Federal Highway-Railroad Grade Crossing Safety Program (i.e., Section 130)
  • Managing the Statewide Railroad Crossing Inventory

Please note that the Utility and Railroad Section does not have any oversight of the Valley Metro light rail, the Tucson Street Car or Commuter Rail Planning. ADOT's Multimodal Planning Division is responsible for these functions and these are their Web pages:

This PowerPoint presentation gives a brief overview of the Section 130 / Highway-Railroad Grade Crossing Safety Program:

This PowerPoint presentation gives a brief overview of railroad design considerations:

Useful Links
Arizona State Logo - Official Website of the State of Arizona

 ADOT Logo

Arizona Department of Transportation

Contact Us

Join the ADOT Team - Employment Opportunities