Special Events Permits

Special Events Permits

There are many types of special events. They include parades and processions, races and tours, rest-area coffee breaks, and placement of banners and decorations.

To use state-highway right of way for a special event, you must make arrangements to accommodate the traveling public, and you must obtain insurance to protect the state from the additional liability imposed by using the highway for the event.

Depending upon the event, accommodating travelers often calls for extensive traffic control as well. You must contract with a qualified traffic-control company that will design a plan for placement of signs and other devices to direct drivers through the area safely.

A Certificate of Insurance must accompany the Special Event Application and shall be endorsed to include State of Arizona/ADOT as an additional insured with respect to general liability in the amount of $5 million* and provide a Waiver of Subrogation endorsement in favor of the State of Arizona/ADOT for all insurance coverage.

Submit an application for a special event to the respective ADOT district’s permit office 60 days prior to the scheduled event.


* Effective May 18, 2015 and until further notice: ADOT Safety & Risk Management will require $1 million per occurrence and $2 million in the aggregate for all parade only permits.