Instruction Permit

Instruction Permit

If you're at least 15 years and 6 months old, you may be issued a graduated and/or a motorcycle instruction permit. You must be at least 18 for an operator permit.

With a graduated or operator permit, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the seat beside you. These permits are valid for 12 months.

With a motorcycle permit, you are prohibited from operating a motorcycle on freeways or interstate highways or between sunset and sunrise, or at any time when there is not enough light to clearly see people or vehicles at a distance of 500 feet. The motorcycle instruction permit is valid for seven months and can be renewed one time within a 24-month period.

The commercial instruction permit is valid for six months. You must be at least 18 to apply. For additional information, see our Commercial Driver Permits page.

Parent/Guardian Approval

If you are younger than 18, your application for an instruction permit or driver license must be signed by at least one adult (see below). The adult will be responsible for any negligence or willful misconduct when you are driving.

The application must be signed by

  • one natural parent if married to the other natural parent.
  • both natural parents if not married to each other but share joint custody.
  • one natural parent with sole custody.

If neither parent is living, the application must be signed by

  • a legal guardian (proof required).
  • a foster parent living with the minor (proof required).
  • an employer of the minor (death certificates must be shown).

The signatures must be witnessed by an MVD agent or by a notary public. Signatures obtained for an instruction permit will be required again for a driver license. This information sheet contains the laws that apply to legal guardian authority for a driver license for a minor. 

Permit Test @ Home

Teenage Arizona drivers who need to take the written driver test to get an Instruction Permit can now take that test online with appropriate supervision.

Permit Test @ Home is available for parents or legal guardians to administer after setting up their free, personalized account on AZ MVD Now (