Title Lien (for Lienholders)

The dealer will have a properly executed Dealer Acquisition Contract and an Arizona Secure Power of Attorney signed by the seller. This gives the dealer authority to act on behalf of the seller. The sale of the vehicle can move forward.

Submit a signed application for title, letter of permission, and applicable fees. The vehicle record will be updated.

Visit the lienholder’s AZ MVD Now account and use the Failure to Return Vehicle service.

  The current title must be surrendered when obtaining a replacement title for

  • changing lien information.
  • adding, deleting, or
  • changing a lienholder or owner.
  • changing owner or lienholder legal status.
  • changing AZ brand. changing vehicle identification number.
  • changing vehicle year. changing odometer.
  • changing make.
  • changing body style.
  • changing mobile home manufacturer.  

Title Lien (for Owners)

Visit any MVD office where a vehicle inspection will be conducted. Provide the inspection document to your lienholder who will process the corrected title.

You may apply for an MVD Administrative Hearing if your lienholder does not release the lien within 15 business days from full satisfaction of the lien.

When a lienholder has credited the final payment the title will remain electronic.  If a paper title is needed, for reasons like moving out of state, you can complete a Title Replacement service on AZ MVD Now.    

Yes. You should apply for a lien-free Arizona title.

The seller must work with the lender to have the lien electronically released, and then the seller can use the Title Transfer Bill of Sale form (#38-1306) to sign over the vehicle to the buyer.

The seller can use the Title Transfer Bill of Sale form (#38-1306) to sign over the vehicle to the buyer.

The dealer will request that you initial and sign a Dealer Acquisition Contract in lieu of presenting a title at the time of a trade-in.

Your insurance company should contact the lienholder to obtain the title.

Contact your lienholder. If they permit an additional owner, they will process the change. A new registration will be created and applicable registration fees will need to be paid. A credit of the prior registration fees will be placed in the original owner’s account, and a disbursement can be requested through AZ MVD Now.

Mandatory Insurance

Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This requirement also includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds. Minimum levels of financial responsibility are

  • $25,000 bodily-injury liability for one person and $50,000 for two or more people.
  • $15,000 property-damage liability.

Law-enforcement officers will ask you for proof of insurance at the time of traffic stops or accidents. Insurance companies notify MVD of all policy cancellations, nonrenewals and new policies. If your insurance company sends MVD a notice that your policy is no longer active, we will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with MVD. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 form from an insurance company. This can be expensive to the vehicle owner, especially since the law requires the owner to carry the SR22 for three years from the date of suspension.

No. All vehicles registered in Arizona must be insured by a company licensed to do business in this state. Arizona residents who are out of state (including military personnel), however, may submit a De-Insured Certificate on a vehicle, on a short-term basis.

Customers have 30 days after initial registration to submit insurance.

De-insurance is a method of temporarily discontinuing the required insurance on the vehicle until it is ready to be driven or placed on the road again. A de-insured vehicle will not be suspended due to lack of insurance unless it is driven on Arizona roads. You can de-insure your vehicle online at AZMVDNow.gov.  

A suspension could have been generated for one of several reasons:

  • MVD has not received proof of Arizona insurance.
  • There was a lapse in insurance coverage.
  • There was an accident case opened.
  • A newly registered vehicle may not have been on system when insurance information was received.
  • There was a VIN (vehicle identification number) error, either entered into the system incorrectly or provided incorrectly by the insurance company.

Complete a De-Insured Certificate form. Once restoration is complete, get proof of insurance, complete a nonuse certificate and apply for registration. 

State law requires that the insurance company and the owner submit proof of Arizona insurance within 30 days after initial registration. Insurance companies are also required to routinely notify MVD of all policy cancellations, renewals and any new issuance.

You must provide proof of Arizona liability insurance that was in effect at the time of the suspension. Or, if that proof cannot be obtained, you must pay a $50 reinstatement fee and provide current proof of Arizona liability insurance.

Payment may be made by cash, cashier's check or money order. Some offices accept credit cards. Cash and credit card not accepted by mail. No personal checks accepted.

In some cases immediately, in others within 24 hours after receipt, provided the information submitted meets the requirements of the law. Also, you must ensure that the information is sent to the MVD representative with whom you spoke, to guarantee immediate reinstatement of plates and registration.

If you received a notice from us regarding your insurance, please follow the instructions on that notice or contact us or visit AZMVDNow.gov to submit temporary notice of updated coverage. 

A suspension could have been generated for one of several reasons:

  • The information you sent may not have been received.
  • The vehicle identification number may have been incorrect on the document provided.
  • Insurance information submitted may not cover the time of suspension.
  • Documents may have crossed in the mail. Out-of-state insurance may have been provided when Arizona proof of insurance was required. For details concerning your case, please contact us.

If an accident occurred and proof of insurance was not available or was not valid, you may submit an Insurance Information Request along with a copy of the police report and a $3 fee. We will then release any insurance information on record for the date of the accident. If no information is available, you will be so advised. Please mail the Insurance Information Request to the address shown at the top of the form. 

Yes, you will not be able to obtain a driver license in another state until your suspension is cleared in Arizona. It may also prevent you from obtaining vehicle insurance in that state.

Five-Year Registration

An owner may register a qualifying vehicle for a five year period.

Any vehicles not subject to emissions testing requirement for the entire five-year registration cycle, which include the following:

  • Most vehicles registered outside the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas
  • Vehicles with model year 1966 and older
  • New vehicles that have never been registered in Arizona or in any other state
  • Motorcycles 
  • Commercially registered trailers 10,000 lbs GVW and less
  • Solar, electric and hydrogen powered alternative fuel vehicles  

  Yes, the following registrations are not eligible for a five-year registration:

  • All vehicles that require a one or two year emissions test
  • Allocated registration
  • Apportioned registration
  • Permanent registration
  • Interstate registration
  • Taxi registration
  • Vehicles with a GVW over 55,000 lbs
  • New alternative fuel powered vehicles that have never been registered in Arizona or in any other state
  • Vehicles used primarily off highway that have been issued an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal Vehicles under the seasonal agricultural, reduced fees registration provision  

The vehicle license tax and other applicable fees are calculated and paid for five years at the time of registration. Only a one-year registration fee is required to be paid for the entire period.

The appropriate special plate/personalization fees for a five year period will be collected at the time of registration.

Yes. Generally, the determining factor for a five-year registration is where the vehicle is registered and not where it is purchased. However, a vehicle that is used for commuting into an area where an emissions test is required must be emissions tested no matter where it is registered.

The vehicle would no longer be eligible for a five-year registration if it does not meet any of the criteria listed in question above. The vehicle owner would now be subject to emissions testing requirements and will have to register the vehicle in their new area.

Yes, except when recertification is required on an annual basis. Vehicle owners claiming the following exemptions are not eligible for a five-year registration option:

  • A widow or widower claiming a widow's exemption
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient (other than a totally disabled veteran)
  • Military personnel claiming the Nonresident and Special Military Exemption if their Military Identification Card reflects an expiration date that will expire within five years
  • Nonprofit
  • Nonprofit school
  • Religious institution

Yes, all existing credit/refund provisions for a vehicle sold apply to a five-year registration.

Inspections and Salvage Vehicles

No Cash Accepted. We take all major credit / debit cards, except for American Express.

Yes, but only if they have a valid driver license.

A salvage vehicle is a vehicle to be titled and registered that had been stolen, wrecked, destroyed by water or otherwise damaged to the extent that the insurance company considered it to be uneconomical to repair and was therefore issued a certificate of title branded/marked as salvage.

A Salvage Certificate of Title is issued to a vehicle that was stolen, wrecked, destroyed, water damaged or otherwise damaged to the extent that the owner, leasing company, financial institution or insurance company considers it to be uneconomical to repair.

Restored salvage is a vehicle that was previously issued a certificate of title branded as salvage, but has now been repaired/restored, then inspected for roadworthiness and issued a title branded as restored salvage.

A Restored Salvage Certificate of Title is issued to a vehicle that has been rebuilt or restored for highway use.

Complete a title application, make an appointment to have a Level III inspection conducted, obtain an emissions compliance certificate (if applicable), surrender the salvage title with the application and pay a $4.00 title fee – plus registration fees (if applicable).

To help reduce auto theft, restored salvage vehicles require the more comprehensive Level III inspection conducted by peace officers. A Level III is necessary to verify all major component parts (front end assembly, engine, transmission, rear end assembly) and the vehicle is equipped for highway use.

All equipment required for highway use must be in good working order.

  • Proof of ownership; vehicle title (if issued); registration (if issued); or bill of sale.  
  • Valid driver license
  • Receipts or invoices for all component parts that have been repaired or replaced.  

In addition to the title (if issued) or registration (if issued) you must show receipts, invoices, bills of sale or other ownership documents for component parts used in the vehicle repair process.

Each receipt must include these items:

  • Description of the vehicle from which the parts were removed, including vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model.
  • Name, address and signature of the company or person who sold the part.
  • Driver license number of the seller (if private party) or the tax identification number (if a company).
  • Title Number for the Certificate of Title.

Yes. However, the seller must tell the buyer that they are purchasing a salvage vehicle. Make sure that when you do buy a salvage vehicle that you get to keep the proof of ownership of replacement component parts used in the repair or restoration.

Level I

Basic inspection to match the vehicle identification number (VIN) to the vehicle ownership documents to determine the identity of the vehicle. Required only for certain vehicles. Most vehicles are successfully inspected and verified at this level. Level I inspections are conducted at MVD and authorized third-party offices, or by designated law enforcement officers. There is no fee for a Level I inspection conducted at an MVD office. Third-party providers may charge a fee.

Level II

Secondary inspection is conducted when unusual circumstances indicate that a secondary VIN should be examined. A Level II inspection is conducted by a certified ADOT Officer. The fee is $20.

Level III

Highest level inspection is conducted by a certified ADOT Officer for restored salvage vehicles. The fee is $50.

Abandoned Vehicle Inspections

Any law-enforcement officer or authorized third-party provider can provide an inspection on a vehicle abandoned on private property. Additional fees may apply depending on the circumstances.

Arizona law, ARS 28-2091-O, requires that any person who sells a vehicle for which a salvage title has been issued, must disclose to the buyer, before the completion of the sale, that it is a salvage vehicle.

Any law-enforcement officer or authorized third-party provider can provide an inspection on a vehicle abandoned on private property.

The cost of the inspection depends on the level of detail required.

  • Level II: $20
  • Level III: $50
  • AZ VIN: $5

In some cases where a Level II inspection is conducted, a review at a later date may determine that a Level III inspection is required. You will then be required to pay an additional $30.

Buying and Selling Your Vehicle

If you choose to transfer a plate to your new purchase, you must provide the dealer with the plate number. You may be eligible to apply a credit or to request a refund. The dealer will assist you with this process and provide you with a form indicating your selection. The dealer will issue a Temporary Registration Plate (TRP). You may operate the new vehicle using the TRP until the new registration arrives in the mail. Then, you will remove the TRP and attach the plate that you transferred from the previous vehicle, along with the new tabs that you received in the mail.

You have 15 days to apply for a new certificate of title. Upon sale or transfer of a vehicle, the registration for that vehicle is not valid. Therefore, any used vehicle that you purchase has an expired registration. You may not operate the vehicle until it is registered or until you purchase a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit, available at EZ Permit, or at any MVD or authorized third-party office.

No. The registration on the vehicle has expired. The previous owner should have removed the plate. Surrender the license plate to an MVD or authorized third-party office, or submit an affidavit of plate destruction (Plate Notice form).

At the time the trailer receives a permanent registration, there are 24 months of potential credit. Each month that passes, the number of creditable months is reduced by one, so that the potential credit will be reduced to zero after two years. You may be eligible to receive a credit or request a refund for fees paid within the last two years.

If you bought the vehicle from a licensed dealer, the dealer will give you a Temporary Registration Plate that allows you to operate the vehicle for any purpose. If you purchased the vehicle from a private sale, you may obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit, which is valid only for the purposes of vehicle inspection, emission testing, repairs needed to comply with inspection or emission rules, or to otherwise complete the registration process. The permit is available at EZ Permit or at any MVD or authorized third-party office. To operate the vehicle for any other purpose, you must first complete the registration process.

Yes. If your plate has been lost, stolen or damaged, you are still eligible to apply your credit or request a refund. The lost plate may be replaced for $5 when you transfer the credit to another vehicle.

No. However, there are exceptions that allow the transfer of credit to another owner listed on the title of the vehicle that you sold, and from a lessor to a lessee, or in some cases of a trustee, company name, sole proprietor, court order or non-probate estate.

Special Plates and Placards

You will first receive a registration and tab with your current plate number for use until you receive the new plate by mail in four to six weeks. The new plate will come with a new tab and registration.

You may add the disability symbol to your existing plate. A postage and handling fee is required. You may be charged any usual special plate and personalization fees due for that plate type. However, the disability symbol is considered one character. So, if you already have the maximum number of characters for the plate type, then the symbol can not be added.

The new tab and registration were enclosed the window portion of the envelope that contained the plates.

There is no fee for a disability placard. A postage and handling fee is required for a disability plate.

Yes, in some cases. You must request the additional placard in writing and state the reason why the additional placard is needed.

One plate will be issued for each specialty and personalized plate order.

Yes. For many plates, $17 of the annual special plate fee is a tax-deductible charitable donation.

No, Arizona special plates are for Arizona-registered vehicles only.

Yes, as long as the vehicle is registered in Arizona and the eligibility requirements are met.

Yes, though not all special plates offer a motorcycle option. To view which plate types offer a motorcycle format, please visit azmvdnow.gov

Yes. A veteran plate can now be ordered online at azmvdnow.gov.

Many can be personalized for an additional annual personalization fee of $25. See our Plates and Placards page.

The maximum number of characters varies. See our Plates and Placards page.

Many special plates offer the disability symbol option for both standard and personalized. See our Plate Selections page for more information. On a personalized plate, the available number of characters is reduced by one to accommodate for the disability symbol.

A postage and handling fee is required. You must pay the usual special plate fee and/or personalization fee charged for that plate type.

No, you must wait until you receive your metal plate in the mail; then you may order online, by mail or in an MVD or authorized third-party office.


Watercraft registration is the responsibility of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Please check their website for forms and information on watercraft registration; boating rules and regulations, boating education and more.

License Plates/Vehicle Permits

Replace your plate online at azmvdnow.gov. If it is damaged, deteriorated, or unreadable, it will be replaced with the same numbers and letters. If it has been lost or stolen, it will be replaced with new numbers and letters. You may also contact MVD or visit an Authorized Third Party office. A $5 fee will be charged (plus postage and handling). To transact by mail, send the plate application, with a check or money order for $5, plus postage and handling listed on the form.

Effective October 28, 2018, the permanent disability placard no longer has an expiration date and re-certification is not required to issue a replacement.  The placard will be valid as long as the recipient qualifies. Temporary disability placards are valid for six months at which time a new certification must be completed by an authorized physician.   If you require a permanent disability placard replacement, you may apply online. There is no fee to replace a disability placard. See our Plates and Placards section for more information.

If you bought the vehicle from a licensed dealer, the dealer will give you a Temporary Registration Plate that allows you to operate the vehicle for any purpose. If you purchased the vehicle from a private sale, you may obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit at azmvdnow.gov

You can purchase a 90-Day Nonresident Registration for $15 from the MVD or Authorized Third Party office. You will be required to show your out-of-state identification and the dealer invoice or assigned title.

A 30-Day General Use Registration is issued when you do not qualify for a permanent registration or other types of temporary permits. Only one 30-Day permit is allowed per vehicle within any 12-month period. The permit is available online or may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $15.

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90-day registration. This registration allows operation of the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. It may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party provider. The fee is $15. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90-day registration.


When an Arizona title is lost, mutilated or becomes illegible, you, the owner of record, may apply for a duplicate title. Owner name, legal status, lienholder and vehicle information must remain the same. Only the address and/or vehicle location address may be changed. Activate your AZ MVD Now account to apply for a duplicate. The fee is $4.

Use the same procedure as a title transfer. If there is a lien on the vehicle that has not been paid off, written permission from the lienholder/lender will be required to add or delete a name.

Complete a title application (including the lien information), submit with the most current title, pay a $4 title fee and obtain a lien release from the lienholder/lender (if applicable) with

  • a complete description of the vehicle (year, make, and vehicle identification number).
  • the date the lien was paid in full.
  • a notation or stamp that indicates the lien is paid.
  • the full signature of the lienholder or the lienholder agent.

First visit any MVD or Authorized Third Party office to obtain a vehicle inspection. The additional steps needed to then complete the process vary with each situation. At the time of the inspection, we will provide you with a list of the specific actions and documentation required.

Requirements vary depending on your specific circumstances. Contact us for details.


You are not required to notify us. The other state should automatically send us notification. Until that is completed, you may receive notices from us regarding registration renewal and insurance verification.

If you move from Arizona and register your vehicle somewhere else, you are not eligible for a refund. More information.

You can see how much you paid in vehicle registration fees for last year, including your vehicle license tax, by using the Vehicle Payment Summary online service. You can view your record and print it. This is a free service. Note: This recap is provided for information only. If you are using it for tax purposes, consult your tax adviser.

Yes. Your current (or expired) registration document can be used.

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle registration or replacement tab on AZ MVD Now. When you apply online, you can print the registration from your home printer. 

To add or delete a name on your registration you must change your title.

Please call 602.255.0072 to schedule an appointment with MVD. You will need to renew in person and can't renew online or on the phone at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.