As part of the Arizona Department of Transportation’s focus on multimodal long-range planning, the department is updating its 2011 State Rail Plan to better determine rail improvements across the state, based on future needs and opportunities.
The rail plan update will provide guidance for the existing rail systems and services used by Arizona’s freight shippers and the public. It will also provide an assessment of the statewide rail system, offering recommendations for policies, programs, processes and projects that will improve rail-related safety and service. The plan will consist of five major elements:
- Describing the role of rail transportation in the state
- Profiling the state’s railroad assets and traffic, along with identifying markets, logistics, and economic and demographic trends that will have an impact on rail transportation needs
- Determining freight rail needs and improvements
- Determining passenger rail needs and improvements
- Development of a rail service plan