FAQ - Commercial License Permits

What is continuous travel?

"Continuous travel" means to operate a vehicle continuously throughout any 24-hour period. These vehicles must abide by the curfew around the large metropolitan areas.

Can I travel on Saturday until noon?

Continuous-travel vehicles and loads may move on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. Vehicles with the "sunrise to sunset" restriction travel can only move Monday through Friday; no weekend travel is allowed.

With an overweight permit, how much weight can I carry on a tri, quad or tandem?

Arizona uses the federal bridge formula (see chart in Admin rules R17-6-411 Table 3, Illustration 3) to determine axle weights for overweight vehicles. You will need to know the spacing between each axle, the axle width, the number of tires per axle and the width of tires.

What are the permit fees?

Single-trip permits are issued for 96 hours, or four days, or upon exit from the state (whichever comes first). A registration permit is $1 per axle per 50 miles traveled. Motor carrier fees are $48 per trip for over 50 miles, and $12 per trip of 50 miles or fewer. The fee for use fuel is $65 per trip for over 50 miles traveled, and $16 per trip for 50 miles or fewer. A Class A overdimensional permit is $15, and a Class A overweight permit is $75.

Can we purchase permits over the phone?

No. Permit applications are not be accepted over the phone. However, you can apply for your permit at any Port of Entry, through a national permit service, in person at the Arizona Central Commercial Permit Office or online through our website. 

Where do I obtain a USDOT number?

Visit U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

I was told to call Arizona Commercial Permits for the city of Phoenix routing information.

Commercial Permits has jurisdiction only for state and federal highways. For Phoenix or Tucson streets and county highways see Routing Contacts.

Where is Arizona Commercial Permits Office located? Is there an office closer to me?

The Arizona Central Commercial Permit Office is located at 14370 W. Van Buren St., Goodyear, AZ 85338.If you are unable to obtain your permit at the commercial permit office, there are several other ways to purchase your permit. You can purchase your permit online through our website, at one of our Ports of Entry or through a national permit service.

What are the Arizona Central Commercial Permits' hours?

The commercial permits office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for state holidays. The ports of entry hours vary, so please contact them directly. See Port and Commercial Permit Locations.

Do I need a 504 tax clearance or bill of lading to pull a mobile home?

To move a used mobile home originating in Arizona, a 504 tax clearance (ad valorem) must be obtained from the county assessor in which the mobile home is located. When a new home is moved from the factory or dealer lot, a bill of lading will be allowed to make this move. Mobile homes originating from out of state are not governed by this restriction. Only Arizona transporter plates are recognized for the movement of the mobile home. If the transporter does not have Arizona transporter plates for the home, a 30-day general-use registration must be purchased to make this move. The cost of this permit is $15.

Where can I get a California permit? Does the Arizona Commercial Permits issue them?

For California trip permits, contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 916.657.7971; they can also be obtained at truck stops outside California.

For California oversize or overweight permits, contact the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS), South Region Permits at 909.383.4637.

For more information on California requirements, visit their Office of Truck Services website.

Arizona Commercial Permits does not issue California permits.

Where can I get a copy of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's regulations?

Call the Arizona Motor Transport Association at 602.252.7559, or visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

Which holidays restrict movement for oversize/overweight loads?

Per Admin Rule, R-17-4-412, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day restrict the movement of oversize/overweight loads. If the above holiday falls on a Monday, the movement must stop before noon the Friday preceding the national holiday.

What if I have a question regarding commercial permits that have been requested or already purchased?

Please fill out the Commercial Permit Inquiry form or contact us.