Title and Registration FAQ


Can I renew my registration even if I do not have a renewal notice?

Yes. Your current (or expired) registration document can be used.

How can I get a replacement (duplicate) registration/tab?

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle registration or replacement tab on AZ MVD Now. When you apply online, you can print the registration from your home printer. 

How do I add/delete a name on my registration?

To add or delete a name on your registration you must change your title. 

I'm in the Address Confidentiality Program. How can I renew my registration?

Please call 602.255.0072 to schedule an appointment with MVD. You will need to renew in person and can't renew online or on the phone at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

I am temporarily out of state and require a vehicle emissions test. What do I do?

Do I need to let you know when I move and register my vehicle in another state?

You are not required to notify us. The other state should automatically send us notification. Until that is completed, you may receive notices from us regarding registration renewal and insurance verification.

If I move from Arizona and am no longer a resident, can I get a refund for the remaining months on my registration?

If you move from Arizona and register your vehicle somewhere else, you are not eligible for a refund. More information.

Can you tell me what I paid in vehicle registration fee and taxes for last year?

You can see how much you paid in vehicle registration fees for last year, including your vehicle license tax, by using the Vehicle Fee Recap online service. You can view your record and print it. This is a free service. Note: This recap is provided for information only. If you are using it for tax purposes, consult your tax adviser.


How do I apply for a duplicate title and what is the fee?

When an Arizona title is lost, mutilated or becomes illegible, you, the owner of record, may apply for a duplicate title. Owner name, legal status, lienholder and vehicle information must remain the same. Only the address and/or vehicle location address may be changed.

Activate your AZ MVD Now account to apply for a duplicate. The fee is $4.

How do I add/delete a name on my title?

Use the same procedure as a title transfer. If there is a lien on the vehicle that has not been paid off, written permission from the lienholder/lender will be required to add or delete a name.

How do I add/delete a lien on my title?

Complete a title application (including the lien information), submit with the most current title, pay a $4 title fee and obtain a lien release from the lienholder/lender (if applicable) with

  • a complete description of the vehicle (year, make, and vehicle identification number).
  • the date the lien was paid in full.
  • a notation or stamp that indicates the lien is paid.
  • the full signature of the lienholder or the lienholder agent.

How do I apply for a bonded title?

First visit any MVD or Authorized Third Party office to obtain a vehicle inspection. The additional steps needed to then complete the process vary with each situation. At the time of the inspection, we will provide you with a list of the specific actions and documentation required.

What additional requirements are needed for out-of-country vehicles?

Requirements vary depending on your specific circumstances. Contact us for details.

License Plates/Vehicle Permits

How do I get a replacement license plate and what is the fee?

To replace your license plate, contact MVD or visit an Authorized Third Party office. Your identity and the vehicle information will be verified. A $5 fee will be charged (plus postage and handling). To transact by mail, send the plate application, with a check or money order for $5, plus postage and handling listed on the form, and the replacement will be sent by mail. 

How do I renew a disability placard?

Effective October 28, 2018, the permanent disability placard no longer has an expiration date and re-certification is not required to issue a replacement.  The placard will be valid as long as the recipient qualifies. Temporary disability placards are valid for six months at which time a new certification must be completed by an authorized physician.  

If you require a permanent disability placard replacement, you may apply online. There is no fee to replace a disability placard. See our Plates and Placards section for more information.

How do I obtain a trip permit?

If you bought the vehicle from a licensed dealer, the dealer will give you a Temporary Registration Plate that allows you to operate the vehicle for any purpose. If you purchased the vehicle from a private sale, you may obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit at ServiceArizona.com

I am not an Arizona resident, but I bought a car from an Arizona dealer. Is there a permit I can purchase to drive this unregistered vehicle to my home state?

You can purchase a 90-Day Nonresident Registration for $15 from the MVD or Authorized Third Party office. You will be required to show your out-of-state identification and the dealer invoice or assigned title.

What is a 30-Day General Use permit?

A 30-Day General Use Registration is issued when you do not qualify for a permanent registration or other types of temporary permits. Only one 30-Day permit is allowed per vehicle within any 12-month period. The permit is available online or may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party office. The fee is $15.

What is a 90-Day resident registration?

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90-day registration. This registration allows operation of the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. It may be purchased at any MVD or Authorized Third Party provider. The fee is $15. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90-day registration.


How can I get a Motor Vehicle (Driver or Vehicle) Record?

If eligible, you can obtain and print a copy of a record online. You may also obtain a copy by completing a Motor Vehicle Record Request form.

How do I register my boat?

Watercraft registration is the responsibility of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Please check their website for forms and information on watercraft registration; boating rules and regulations, boating education and more.

Where can I obtain information about off-highway vehicle laws and regulations?

The Arizona Game and Fish Department provides this information.

What equipment (lights, mirrors, etc) is required on my vehicle to drive it on the streets and highways?

Arizona law in Title 28, Article 16 provides this information. If you have specific questions, contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Public Safety Fee (PSF)

What is the Public Safety Fee (PSF)?

The PSF is an annual fee required to be collected by the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) pursuant to state law [Laws 2018, Chapter 265, Section 1 (HB 2166)]. See Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) 28-2007. To review a copy of this new state law use the following link: https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/53leg/2R/laws/0265.pdf. PSF revenues are deposited in the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Highway Patrol Fund to help cover the costs of the DPS Highway Patrol operations.

How much is the PSF?

The PSF is $32.00 for each initial registration and registration renewal.

Vehicles eligible for a reduced $5 fee are registered golf carts and off-highway vehicles registered as Primarily Off-Highway. Unregistered Golf Carts, OHV’s certified as Exclusively Off-Highway, Mobile Homes and Title-only transactions will not pay the PSF.

The PSF is to be collected upon the initial registration of a permanently registered trailer and for each transfer of ownership.

How was the $32 fee determined?

State law, A.R.S. § 28-2007 contains a statutory formula that the ADOT Director must follow when establishing the PSF. The formula is the DPS Highway Patrol total budget as approved by the Arizona Legislature plus 10%, divided by the total number of vehicles that are subject to the fee.

Are there any vehicles that are assessed a zero fee?

A qualifying owner or vehicle with one of the following will be assessed a zero fee:

  • Government Vehicles
  • Special Military
  • 100% Disabled Veterans
  • Non-profit
  • Non-profit school
  • Religious Institution
  • A U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs grant recipient who qualifies for an exemption from the vehicle license tax pursuant to A.R.S. § 28-5802

An owner with one of the following will be assessed a zero fee. The extent of the assessed amount is ½ or partial, depending on the number of owners. Those who qualify are listed as follows:

  • Survivor of Fallen Military Member
  • Non-Resident Military Member
  • Public Health Services Officer
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • A widow or widower who qualifies for an exemption of taxation of property pursuant to A.R.S. 42-11111
  • Survivor of Fallen Responder

What does the PSF fund?

State law, A.R.S. 28-2007 requires ADOT to deposit 100% of the PSF collections into the Arizona Highway Patrol Fund. ADOT does not receive any monies from the PSF. Monies in this fund are subject to annual review through the legislative appropriation process. DPS manages the Arizona Highway Patrol Fund.

Is the PSF transferrable?

When completing a transfer of ownership and registering the vehicle, the PSF shall be paid by the purchaser, even if the fee has been paid by the prior owner for the current year’s registration.

What does it mean that the PSF is not refundable or transferable?

Once the PSF is paid, the customer cannot be refunded if they sell or transfer their vehicle. Not transferable means that the fee cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another or from one owner to another. The PSF is not included in any plate fee credit or refund.

Are commercial motor vehicles registered through the International Registration Plan (IRP) subject to the PSF?

Yes, beginning January 1, 2019, all IRP motor vehicles will pay a portion of the $32 fee based on the percentage of miles traveled in Arizona compared to total miles traveled in other states.